The Front Porch Swing

TTmom - that's a really nice story. Good for you guys to helping those people out. My sister and I helped out a couple of ladies once. It was a mom, her daughter and 2 little kids. They were in town and no-one stopped to help, just went around them. They had no clue what to do and were not form the area, just passing through on a visit to great-grandma. While we were changing their tire, she told us they had been there for 10 minutes before we showed up. We both thanked my dad for making sure we knew how to change a tire before we were allowed to drive his car off the property.

DH and I went to an apple orchard yesterday. I got four bags of seconds for $28; actually, I only paid $20 and she gave me one bag free since I bought so many. She says they have a hard time selling seconds. They had so many different kinds - most that I had never heard of. I got 2 Bonnie Brae, 1 North Starr, and a Pink Pearl. Going to can Apple Pie filling and applesauce - hopefully tomorrow.

The lady I got clothes from had tooons of cute things. I had to restrain myself
lol.png
We got to talking. She said she just couldn't sell any of it. I tried to sell some clothes from my boys recently. I mean, good looking clothes, barely any wear. Folks around here just dont wanna pay for anything. Give it away for free and it's gone in a minute... Try to sell for $1 a piece and nothing. It's just the way our area is, sadly. Lots of single ladies with kids from 2-3 different dads, and pregnant again... begging on Facebook for free stuff. They can get birth control for free from the health dept...
hmm.png
Girls are raised to accept that as normal here, as a career choice.. living off welfare, child support and 20 hours a week at McDonalds or finding a sucker who will marry them and pay all their bills. My dear Justin was that sucker in his previous marriage (while she was running around behind his back messing with other folks). He was paying for her and all three of her brothers that would empty their fridge daily and steal his stuff. I have honestly almost a dozen different mug shots between the four of those siblings.

No one cares about anyone but themselves here. It's a dang shame.

Anyway.

I'd be all over some seconds :) I love a good deal.

Story form my boss- he swears it is true and he overheard the whole thing while he and his wife were having lunch in a restaurant. Here is the condensed version of the conversation one booth over:
High School Senior - Man, I graduate in a couple of months. I don't know what to do with my life.
Mother - Well, Julio seems like a nice boy. Go to the dance with him and get pregnant. Then he will marry you and take care of everything.
High School Senior - No, he plans to go to college and says that he isn't going to marry anyone until he graduates with a degree.
Mother - well, isn't there another boy that you can marry?
Grandma - Don't worry if they won't marry you. Just go on assistance. Free money and you don't have to work.
High School Senior - I don't know if I can live on what they give you for assistance.
Grandma - No problem, just have more kids with other daddies. That what I did.
Mother - Yah, me too.

I felt like an oddity there, I was married, never been divorced and no kids from other daddies.

On another note, the place we got the apples from is actually a nursery. They sell apple tree saplings in the spring. He does all the grafting himself, and even offers grafting classes. I am thinking about getting a plum tree, are they like apples and need another plum tree for pollination? If so, would it work to just graft two or more types of plum together to get a multi-plum tree. I only need plums for plum sauce, so one tree will be more than enough for us. :)

Some plums are self pollinating, so you don't necessarily need another tree, but to my understanding they produce better if you do get it a friend.

*Edit*

And that getting pregnant just to hook someone sounds horrible to me.

Last edited:
Oh, I dunno - getting pregnant with me was deliberately done so Ma and Dad could get married! Dad had a form of Leukemia and in 1950 that was a death sentence. But they were young and in love and both of their parents said "NO!" They knew he wouldn't survive long. So, presto - me! That was in the day where if you got "in the family way" you married and that's what Ma and Dad counted on! He lived 4 more years and they added my amazing sister to our little family.

It makes me sad that this is what the world is coming to. People seeing kids as free money and to lock down a guy. It's so twisted. I don't get it. My husband save and work hard. We bought are house, we're taking are son to disneyland (leaving next Wednesday!!! So excited!) and so many people my age and younger are just lazy and free loaders. It absolutely drives me insane! I have had a job since I was 16 and was babysitting before that. We didn't even ask for help with a down payment on are house. I guess my dad said somethig to my husband, but narrowing money wasn't somethig we wanted to do. I dot see how some people can just plan on beig free loaders. It's just taking money from the people who actually need it.

Now my happy post! As I said, were taking are 4 1/2 year old to Disneyland! Leaving next Wednesday! I have been planning this for a year! You guys I'm so excited! I bought him Micky mouse pjs that I'm going to put on the bed when we get to te hotel and tell him Micky must have left them for him, the next morning when he wakes up I'm going to have a shirt and autograph book sitting out for him (from Micky). I ordered a toy chameleon online for him (he's obsessed with chameleons and dinosaurs. He's been asking or a toy chameleon every week for the last two or three months!) to pull out for him to play with on the airplane along with some other toys and snacks. You guys, I'm just so thrilled to do this with him! I've also written down all te daycare kids addresses so that we can send them each a post card! Gabe is so excited!

On another note, the place we got the apples from is actually a nursery.  They sell apple tree saplings in the spring.  He does all the grafting himself, and even offers grafting classes.  I am thinking about getting a plum tree, are they like apples and need another plum tree for pollination?  If so, would it work to just graft two or more types of plum together to get a multi-plum tree.  I only need plums for plum sauce, so one tree will be more than enough for us.  :)

A grafted plum should be self-fertile, just check your USDA zone hardiness for your area to be sure a all varieties used are chill hardy, and check how long the chill requirement is. A local nursery is a great place to start. Japanese plums tend to do well in the southern states, where northern states might want to choose a European variety. Mine have a hard time, and I'm zone four. We provide burlap covers in the winter to help them.
I have not heard of plum sauce, what do you use it for?

If you have extra plums, I hear the sloe wild plum is what sloe gin is made from. Yum!

Now my happy post! As I said, were taking are 4 1/2 year old to Disneyland! Leaving next Wednesday! I have been planning this for a year! You guys I'm so excited! I bought him Micky mouse pjs that I'm going to put on the bed when we get to te hotel and tell him Micky must have left them for him, the next morning when he wakes up I'm going to have a shirt and autograph book sitting out for him (from Micky). I ordered a toy chameleon online for him (he's obsessed with chameleons and dinosaurs. He's been asking or a toy chameleon every week for the last two or three months!) to pull out for him to play with on the airplane along with some other toys and snacks. You guys, I'm just so thrilled to do this with him! I've also written down all te daycare kids addresses so that we can send them each a post card! Gabe is so excited!

Make sure you have him chew on some gum to relieve the pressure in his ears for the flight.... or do a yawning game.... Disney land is soooo much fun for the little ones. and even as much fun as parents to watch that joy and excitement...

deb

Back
Top Bottom