The Front Porch Swing

I once lost 10lbs over Christmas... The nurses at my grandmother's old folks home didn't care to mention the NORO virus that was running rampant over there. Imagine five people and only one toilet for 3 days...

Funny, how the light up wheels (they have multicolored lights in them that sync with the movement and speed of the wheels) attract other little kids like magnets! They always stop and ask about her. Most parents are okay with that - and I always take the time to get down to the kids' level and explain that Kendra can't walk because her feet don't work. They seem just fine with that explanation and usually ask a few more questions or try to talk to her. Other parents shush their kids....."Shh, it's not polite to ask questions like that." Well, why not? I take even more time with those kids (and just by association, those parents) and tell them that Kendra likes all the same things they like....she just can't walk and she's just learning to talk. Fortunately Kendra loves seeing other kids because of her positive preschool experience, so I have them say a word she knows, and she'll repeat it with a big smile. Then I praise the kids who took the time. Almost always changes the parents' attitude! Instead of being critical toward them, I just smile at them and tell them they should be proud of little Johnny or Sally because they care enough about others to be curious and compassionate. The only people I just can't handle are the ones who look right through us, as if we aren't even there. Nothing says, "You are not worthy of my healthy time" like ignoring an adorable little girl just because she's sitting down as we shop. Funny how the words "ignoring" and "ignorance" are so close.

But even in her chair she is simply beautiful! (Those tiny clear wheels behind the big tires are the ones that light up....now how stupid a design is that, I ask you?)

Can you imagine the cost if the BIG wheels lit up????

I'm with you on this Blooie. As many know, I have strabismus (lazy eye) and have had several surgeries followed by vision therapy once I found there is help for old people (I was ~50 at the time). My Vision Therapy Optometrist asks if people comment on the fact that my eyes appear mostly normal (most of the time). I always have the same answer - "no but they didn't when one was WAY out either". All except one boy at the skating rink maybe 10 years ago, prior to my most recent surgery and the VT. He asked "why do your eyes look like that?" His Dad hushed him. But I said "No, I am glad you asked" and explained it, There are a lot of people with strabismus. How is a kid to learn if all they hear is "you shouldn't ask people questions like that"? There are a lot of people with this "disability" or that "disability" and understanding it is WAY better than "look away". It is great that those little wheels bring kids to Kendra because otherwise they would be "walked by" by their parents.

I once lost 10lbs over Christmas... The nurses at my grandmother's old folks home didn't care to mention the NORO virus that was running rampant over there. Imagine five people and only one toilet for 3 days...

I'd rather not, but thanks for the imagery Felix.
wink.png

Hi Bruce, how are the snow rails working for you? I'm guessing they're about to be put to the test, or doesn't the snowstorm extend all the way up there?

Working great! Not getting a lot of snow yet this year (lots of COLD though) but the times we have had it, then it warms enough to get the snow going, there is a HUGE pile of snow on the deck behind the older building with no rails and there is no snow on the roof. DD1's cat likes to watch it drop off in big sloppy clumps. Whump, WHUMP. Can't really put rails on that roof, really cheesy job was done when the prior owners shimmed the roof and put on the cheap metal stuff. I wouldn't trust it to hold the rails.

Tiny bit of snow on the deck behind the rebuilt building with the rails on the west side. I am thinking of putting some on the east side as well. That snow slides only until it runs into the porch roof below so there is no danger to life, limb or deck railing but it makes for a lot of snow much too close to a window in the older building. I know it is hard to visualize so here is a picture - SUMMER! The building on the left is the original post and beam house. The one on the right is also P&B, probably about the same age (160+ years) but attached to the original probably 120 years ago. Maybe dragged from somewhere else, who knows? The right side building is the one that was rebuilt - about 95% and has the snow rails on the west side roof. As you can see, that window in the old house has NO protection from snow sliding off the roof of the north building.

This is the building that DH says I can use for chickens. As you can see, it is pretty short - maybe 6 feet at the sidewall on this side which faces south. the north side is shorter with no windows, but it has a number of animal doors which have been closed off.

The south side has a row of windows and the north side is divided into stalls. One of these stalls will become my main chicken coop. Any good ideas on this transformation?

The ceiling is covered with metal and I believe it is insulated above that. Each of those stacks on the roof is a 15" vent (behind the tree branches).

OH MY GOODNESS!! I would so love to have that building for my chickens! I would gradually divide it into breeder pens, grow out pens, and laying pens. What a treasure. ETA: Of course, you're going to need some outdoor runs........

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom