The Girls Hate the Coop

LN2008

Songster
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
Larryville, KS
Hey guys, I just finished my coop and the girls seem to want nothing to do with it. They were originally in a chicken tractor and as they got too big I had to upgrade. Any ideas on how to coax them in and what might be wrong? The ramp is low and easy to traverse and they have comfy bedding in there, plus it's quite large for 3 chickens (4'x4'). I'm baffled.

Aww, they're not hating the new coop, chickens are just naturally afraid of new things at first. You might need to lock them inside for a few days, if it's roomy enough. Or, if you have an attached run, put the food inside the coop, or throw some cracked corn inside there so they'll scratch around a bit.

They will learn to love it, and consider it home, just like they did your chicken tractor.

Sharon

How long have they been in the new one?

If only a day or two, they're probably just looking for "home" -which would be the old coop.

They will need to be confined a few days to the new one before it becomes "home."

smile.png

I added a little space of run on the other side of my coop for the girls...and I mean LITTLE is about 12 sq feet. They avoided that part of the run for about a week or so as if the sand was hot lava...once they got used to it now they all want to hang out there...5 birds on 12 sq feet all at once with 50 sq feet all alone on the other side! hahahaha
lau.gif
I had to add a lot of perches so the can jump up etc.

Once they get used to it I'm sure they will love it!

Back
Top Bottom