The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
That one is quite pretty, really. I already got rid of mine.. It was positively the most hideous thing ever. There were NO pretty colors, it was dayglo neon orange, mustard yellow, eggplant, red and white striped.. with a black trim. None of those colors go together without clashing horribly. On top of that, it was a really weird size.. like 12 by 8 foot or something.

I still say this is the same blanket. It was hard for me to get a shot where the colors were just right, but this those colors, too, with a black trim.

Candled tonight.... out of the 12 Wisher eggs that made it into my incubator:

11 had development.
ya.gif

The 12th had no development:

Out of my other shipped eggs:
10/11 Olandsk Dwarfs have development (the 11th was a mid-quitter)
0/2 polish
1/2 GLW
1/2 Light sussex
2/2 Mottled Houdans
2/2 white marans
2/2 Jersey Giants
2/2 blue copper marans

I think that's all I bought...
hide.gif

AMAZING JOB PACKING, WISHER!!!

And, as I like to say, cold is much, much better for eggs than hot.

Welcome to the experiment, Bama!

Bama in helping me continue my education by gently leading me through "USPS Familiarization and Calculating Postage 101"  which should improve my skill in getting eggs to consumers more economically and in a more timely manner.  She has also provided my first experience with generating invoices and accounts payable with PayPal.

I will be shipping her a dozen hatching eggs on Monday, if the hens cooperate.  Half of them will be dark and the other half will be blue.  This time the package's destination is only 3 hours drive from me.

I made a trip to the local PO to discuss my situation with our local postmistress (gotta love living in a rural area) and LEARNED alot!  I found out that ANYTHING mailed "Parcel Post" from our area, is routed through the hub in Atlanta!  Even if it is going to a recipient in the same area.

This time I will be using a box that printer paper comes in.  That sure will be better than paying $5 for a cardboard box from the PO like I did last time.  It is smaller than the big ol' honking boxes SCG and Ron got, but it should work nicely, as long as I reinforce the seams with tape and support the sides by filling voids inside with shredded paper.  I may even be able to find another box to use inside for double boxing (which I think really makes a difference.)

I went to Walmart and studied the bubble wrap section.  Bubble wrap will cost from .10c to .21c per egg, depending on the quanity of bubble wrap purchased.  I am still on the look-out for a source that will allow me to recycle their waste bubble wrap (free!)

Your vet gets great boxes and lots of bubble wrap and if needed I can always ship you some dh isn't gonna be happy he is gonna have to get me an incubator soon :-D

Alright, Ron, what you got out there on the west coast?
I have had a busy day! I went to a place above Placerville CA to pick up 8 Crele Penedesenca eggs! That was a 3 hour drive and we visited my DWs Aunt and Uncle. After that we went to a Crab feed. The Crab was caught last night out of San Francisco so they were very fresh.

And of course I was able to candle tonight too. Not only is there development, I saw them Dancing!

I removed one clear and have two more Questionable ones. The others all look very nice!

Amazing for them to be doing so well since they were shipped ground from Alabama to California!

I will charge the batteries in the high intensity Ova View and get a video tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom