The Great Egg Shipping Experiment!

Pics
You have the bigger octagon, though, right?

I have the Octo Eco 20. It "holds 24 eggs"... I should have gotten the bigger one. Who knew I'd love hatching this much. However, mostly I'm glad I don't have the bigger one, when it comes time to find room for all the babies.

You have the bigger octagon, though, right?

I have the Octo Eco 20. It "holds 24 eggs"... I should have gotten the bigger one. Who knew I'd love hatching this much. However, mostly I'm glad I don't have the bigger one, when it comes time to find room for all the babies.

Yes, I have 34 egg in there now; the Wisher Hatch, Blue Eggs from UofA and Crele Penedesencas were added last night. I plan on hatching in one of the Genesis 1588s since there is plenty of room in there.

Later this year I will be hatching SG Dorkngs for a local Breeder and will also be hatching for a local egg farm. He is getting araucana eggs from Shannon. I love to hatch for others--that way I get to feed my addiction and do not have to worry about figuring out what to do with them.

Hola Pollo's!

Well, Bama1's hen is refusing to play nice so I am shipping her eggs to Montana! This time I took pics!

The eggs I have been collecting this past weekend. I saved all the dark eggs and the nicest blue ones and made sure to turn them as I compiled my batch. I put them in this carton and used the "prop and swap" method. I placed one end of the egg carton up on the egg basket that sits on the counter in my kitchen and swaped ends several times a day. I keep it really cool (60*-63*) in our house and none of these eggs are over three days past date layed. Here you see the things I used. I bought a 17" x 7' roll of bubble wrap ($1.98) at Walmart. I liked it because I could cut it into thirds and use that width to wrap the eggs. I didn't like the bubbles, they were too small and the plastic was too flimsy. I will look for a better quality of bubble wrap next time. The three darkest eggs are already wrapped in this pic.

ETA: the correct BYC friend's name!

Last edited:
Hola Pollo's!

Well, Bamachicks8's hen is refusing to play nice so I am shipping her eggs to Montana! This time I took pics!

The eggs I have been collecting this past weekend. I saved all the dark eggs and the nicest blue ones and made sure to turn them as I compiled my batch. I put them in this carton and used the "prop and swap" method. I placed one end of the egg carton up on the egg basket that sits on the counter in my kitchen and swaped ends several times a day. I keep it really cool (60*-63*) in our house and none of these eggs are over three days past date layed. Here you see the things I used. I bought a 17" x 7" roll of bubble wrap ($1.98) at Walmart. I liked it because I could cut it into thirds and use that width to wrap the eggs. I didn't like the bubbles, they were too small and the plastic was too flimsy. I will look for a better quality of bubble wrap next time. The three darkest eggs are already wrapped in this pic.

grinning-smiley-003.gif

Looks good!

I cut strips of bubble wrap to go around the egg twice (about 11"-12".) I paid close attention to which end of the egg was the air cell or big end. I marked the outside of the bubble wrap so that I could pack them with that end up. I believe it has a positive affect on the hatch rate.

When I taped them, I pulled a bit of tension on the end of the strip above the egg and...

...below the egg so that the egg would not slip down in the bubble wrap tube. I left the ends open to allow for air to get to the egg and to let the extra serve as a spring for the egg to bounce on. Here are all the eggs wrapped and ready to pack.

I used two boxes. The inside box is one I get K-Cups in it is just the right size for four rows of four eggs and packing around them. I put a generous amount of shredded paper in the bottom of the box then nestled the eggs in toward the center as far as I could. I then filled any voids I found between the eggs or around the outside with more shredded paper. Notice that all the arrows are pointing up?

I then filled the space in the top of the box with paper and gently packed it down enough to close the box.

I taped the box closed and set it aside. Next, I put more shredded paper in the bottom of the outside box. I used a box that copy paper comes in. I then put the boxed eggs inside the larger box. There was not as much room on the sides as I would have liked, but I used a ruler to pack the paper along the sides and filled the ends up well. I also put paper on top of the interior box before I put the top on the outside box.

Finally, I reinforced the seams of the box and the corners with tape and wrapped the tape around each end so that the top would be secure. I put a piece of paper on top of the box with the mailing label and instructions on top and covered it in clear tape. It reads,

Attention Postmaster:
Please call 555-555-5555 for immediate customer pick-up. <-- This line is highlighted in day-glo yellow!

I may have gotten a bit happy with the tape.
gig.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom