The Great Winter Coop Humidity/Ventilation Experiment! Post Your Results Here!

I really love seeing how well your coop keeps them warm while still showing great humidity levels compared to the outside temps and humidity. That should make you feel pretty good, huh?

Right now we have 68* temps and a high wind...was 60* last night at midnight. Has to be some kind of record in this state, as even my old Ma can't remember a winter this warm.

My coop feels humid, so I turned some of the DL under the roost to let out some of the moisture there, covered it over with a thin layer of dry, then opened up more spaces to let this wind in to dispel the humidity. My cover tarp is pretty well battened down now, so will be utilizing the various window openings for adjustments now.

Why thank you, Beekissed!!
hugs.gif
If I had not measured, I would never have known, and undoubtedly worried and fretted unnecessarily.
hmm.png

I have to say i am beyond pleased. I am dancing down the street!
wee.gif
I would never have thought the results would be this good in this dreadful weather! Seems like the coop design is decent for the number of chickens. Which I did not really expect.

I was CERTAIN before I started this measuring that even with the small amount of ventilation I added, even with redoing the roost system, there was too little venting and me and the birds would be in trouble. Or they would be too cold. I never knew they would produce and hold heat in an uninsulated, unheated coop, regularly 10-15 degrees above outside temp. I could not have predicted any of these results.

As you mention, the opening and closing of vents, and managing the litter and adding more dry is NOW routine process of good flock management.

I hope everyone else can get results like these in their configurations! It sure takes a lot off my mind, and I can enjoy my girls even in this weather.

And they are doing very well. I just heard the egg song again! It was Nadine, who is the noisy one. But no egg yet. They are telling me they are getting ready! It is 7F here and two feet of snow outside. I put a little straw down on top of the snow and they will walk on their little path outside the run...

Last edited:
I have been following this thread from the beginning. When you posted your coop pics my first thought was that you needed more ventilation, even in winter.. But knowing your results I was pleasantly surprised that it works so well
wee.gif

It IS a great feeling...and it doesn't take much work at all, does it? Most folks shy away from managing a DL system because they feel like it's too fussy or too much work, but it's WAY less work than I used to do to manage my coop, especially in the winter months.

And, if they never measure things like you have, they never realize how efficient~ or inefficient~ their coops are during various weather patterns and climates. I think, for most people, they don't really think or worry about the housing in which they have lodged their flock until severe weather rolls around....I've noticed that for a lot of folks here on BYC the first consideration is that it look nice or cute or whatever look they are going for.

Developing systems that keep a flock warmer in the winter or cooler in the summer without an additional outlay of money, time or effort is a practical way to redeem the time. It helps reduce feed costs, increases overall flock health~which translates into more meat and eggs, and also provides peace of mind about their welfare.

As I drive by local fields where the cattle are lying on wet hay around a round bale feeder as they try to stay warm in single digit temps, I often wonder what those farmers are thinking? Do they even care that the cattle consume more hay in an effort to keep warm and that affects their bottom line? Do they realize also that the more nutrition spent to warm the body, could result in less given to the unborn calf? Especially these guys who time their calving for Jan/Feb....cold, shivering calves next to a cold and wet mother, trying to stay adequately warm without any shelter or dry ground/bedding on which to rest.

Oh my, everyone, I realized it has been nearly a month of posting results with fairly varied winter weather conditions! The results appear solid. I am thinking this is enough data from me for the moment. Whew!

I may do some testing of temps at different levels in the coop, as previously suggested.

But let's keep this thread open, and please post your findings and questions here!

I think the most important take-away for me (being inexperienced at flock management) is that is is completely worthwhile to make a small purchase of a hygrometer/thermometer and test your conditions, and then adjust and tweak accordingly. Otherwise watch the window glass and conditions and/or your rooster's comb for indications. Secondly, keep an eye on your birds and their set-up when you provide routine management.

And my deep thank you to everyone who has contributed!

So, would you care to do a re-cap of your findings: Temp in relationship to humidity. Comparison of outside/inside coop conditions, and how that all relates to frost bite. Any recommendations re: how to assess when the existing ventilation is enough, and when to add more. I have an old dial hygrometer/thermometer in my coop. No idea how accurate it is, it's about 20 years old, but the hygrometer varies with readings 60 - 75%, and the thermo dial seems fairly accurate. Inside temps warm up nicely when that sun hits the thermopane door and windows. Often 20 - 30* higher than outside temps. I can only assume that that heat rise will help to move some air. No ammonia issue yet. If anything, I would say that my DL in coop is too dry for proper composting, but... it works so much better than shavings, that I'm content with it.

Back
Top Bottom