The Gun Thread

Pics
1699793265191.png

fun fact: this is actually a snow leopard with a pet mongolian.

My supervisor at work has been looking for a new pistol. He's one that has never really had an interest in guns other than family heirlooms like his grandfather's 38spl or uncles shotgun. He's gonna get something for personal defense. He's been asking me and a coworker what our thoughts on brands were. For a good lower priced pistol I'm in the Springfield/xd camp and coworker is a glock fan. I say either one but I think he settled on the glock 19

IMG_5836.jpg

I have a decent firearm collection for defense and hunting. But the last decade I got more into high-powered airguns. I even learned how to smith them (called "tuning" in the airgun world). I prefer the airguns for hunting because 1) they can be suppressed without a stamp and 2) they need much less to reload than a firearm does. I can hunt with my airguns into the apocalypse with just an air source, a bucket of tire lead, some orings for replacement seals, and some molds.

The camoed gun above is a .308 air rifle with an ATN night scope. That's my deer hunting setup. It will spit out a 98 grain hollow point bullet at 900-920 feet per second for several shots before needing to be refilled with air, and its darn quiet. It will lay out a Florida-sized whitetail to 75 yards on a lung shot no problem.

S&W came out with the hammerless version of my SS 38 about a year after mine was purchased. I had a friend who had one 40+ years ago.
In my earlier comment, I errantly called the 649 hammerless, although they make a hammerless the 649 is actually a shrouded hammer. I think its only drawback is being difficult to decock once the hammer has been drawn back. My favorite model in the 60 line is the three inch barrel with the adjustable sight. Here is a great review of the S&W 60 lineup with a bit of history on the guns lineage. https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/smith-wesson-model-649-sws-snubbie/

View attachment 3681904

I have a decent firearm collection for defense and hunting. But the last decade I got more into high-powered airguns. I even learned how to smith them (called "tuning" in the airgun world). I prefer the airguns for hunting because 1) they can be suppressed without a stamp and 2) they need much less to reload than a firearm does. I can hunt with my airguns into the apocalypse with just an air source, a bucket of tire lead, some orings for replacement seals, and some molds.

The camoed gun above is a .308 air rifle with an ATN night scope. That's my deer hunting setup. It will spit out a 98 grain hollow point bullet at 900-920 feet per second for several shots before needing to be refilled with air, and its darn quiet. It will lay out a Florida-sized whitetail to 75 yards on a lung shot no problem.
I need a decent air rifle. I made a mistake two years ago and didn't keep the sparrows out of the purple martin houses, now I am overrun with them. What do you recommend?

Since the meme I wanted to post would probably
get me put in timeout I'll post this one.
View attachment 3681757
Entirely appropriate since it's those are low brass; everyone knows low brass is for kids.
View attachment 3681844
fun fact: this is actually a snow leopard with a pet mongolian.
Funner fact: that's not an AK-47. The style and shape of the magazine says it's chambered in 7.62x54 making it a Dragunov. The Chinese version is called a Tiger. So he's a snow leopard's pet Mongolian carrying a Chinese Tiger.

In my earlier comment, I errantly called the 649 hammerless, although they make a hammerless the 649 is actually a shrouded hammer. I think its only drawback is being difficult to decock once the hammer has been drawn back. My favorite model in the 60 line is the three inch barrel with the adjustable sight. Here is a great review of the S&W 60 lineup with a bit of history on the guns lineage. https://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/smith-wesson-model-649-sws-snubbie/
I have a S&W 638, the aluminum frame, shrouded hammer. True, you need to focus if you decide to let that hammer down manually.

Back
Top Bottom