The Gun Thread

Pics
Ooooo I'll play show and tell lol the Kimber was my Christmas present last year. My husband is always strapped too so one gun is Mia from the line up. The ammo cans are full of various caliber.
20231125_165442.jpg
20231125_165507.jpg
20231125_165516.jpg
20231125_165542.jpg

So in accordance to the above where I read your post too fast, are you saying that you don't have a power limit, but the speed has to be under 500fps?
sorry should of made that point clear, i only own air pistols at the moment which have to be under 500fps by law here.

air rifles have no power limit if you own/have a fire arm permit up here.

Edit: I read your post too fast. I see your already know what the kinds of airguns are. But I'll leave the reference for others.

First, understand that there are different kinds of airguns that are classified based on how they power the shot. You know what a pumper is, that's one that has an on-gun reservoir that is filled by an on-gun pump. There are also "springers" with are the kind you break apart in the manner of a single-shot rifle or double-barrel shotgun. Those are powered by either a spring or a piston that cocks during the break and releases during the trigger pull. The spring or piston releasing creates friction that heats the air inside the gun and launches the pellet.

The third kind is called a pre-charged pneumatic. It has an on-gun tank that fills to a high pressure, usually 3,000 or 4,500psi. Every time the gun is cocked and the trigger pulled, an internal valve released a puff of air that projects the pellet/bullet.

A PCP is what you want. They're head and shoulders more powerful and accurate than the other kinds. It's a shame you can't suppress it, as they really shine when they're properly suppressed. Without a suppressor, they're as loud as a firearm.

A .25 is about as all-purpose caliber you could want for furbearers. I have a .25 that's my beater air rifle that lives on my porch on a tripod. I grab it whenever there's a varmint in need of killing around the farmyard. I have it set to shoot 38 grain bullets in the 970s fps for 20-30 shots before significantly losing power. I could turn it up to shoot 60 grain HP bullets at this same speed for less shots, or to shoot light 25 grain pellets for far more shots in the same speed range. Even at the lower power levels, it will brain shoot any animal in the woods up to the size of a black bear out to 50 yards and at the higher power levels it can cleanly lung shoot coyotes to 100 yards.

I would recommend an Airforce Condor or an Escape in .25 Both are the same gun, just that the Escape is built in a lighter configuration for long-distance carry. The tradeoff is a smaller air tank and less full-powered shots per fill. But it (the Escape) would probably be right up your ally. You can also get different sub-models varied according to barrel length. All things being equal, a longer barrel in an airgun always gives you more power and less air usage per shot. Where you can't suppress your airgun, a longer barrel will also be a bit quieter. But the longer barrel is heavier and less maneuverable.

How much damage they'll do will depend on how you configure the power and what your projectile is. Most airgun projectiles are pure or near-pure lead. You'd want to go with a lead alloy that has some harder metals in it to have less deformation. The H&N Barracuda pellet in .25 deforms very little and consequently carries most of its energy through a target instead of dumping it inside.
Thank you so much!

this answers a lot of my questions, i will look into the air force, and i did not expect so much from a .25 cal airgun (i was thinking of having to buy like a .22 cal and maybe a .30 or .357 for my needs) so that saves my a lot of money from me first thought lol.

Thank you so much!

this answers a lot of my questions, i will look into the air force, and i did not expect so much from a .25 cal airgun (i was thinking of having to buy like a .22 cal and maybe a .30 or .357 for my needs) so that saves my a lot of money from me first thought lol.
I have PCPs in .177, .22, .25, .300, ,308, .357, and .45. .25 is by far the most versatile.

Now in Florida, to deer hunt with an airgun the caliber had to be .30 or above. So I often carry my .300 or .308 afield as it allows me to legal harvest anything I may come across in the proper season. But a .25 of proper power could take anything I’d want to. I’d even take a Florida sized whitetail on a lung shot with the .25 if using a heavier bullet and a soft-lead HP if it was otherwise legal.

I do have a .30 carbine that is an amazingly versatile gun, but its a custom build. That model comes in .25 by default.

Here’s the .30 carbine with a light thermal on a coon hunt.

E632EE9B-FB8C-4AB9-942C-7F97DE5A86D8.jpeg

I have PCPs in .177, .22, .25, .300, ,308, .357, and .45. .25 is by far the most versatile.

Now in Florida, to deer hunt with an airgun the caliber had to be .30 or above. So I often carry my .300 or .308 afield as it allows me to legal harvest anything I may come across in the proper season. But a .25 of proper power could take anything I’d want to. I’d even take a Florida sized whitetail on a lung shot with the .25 if using a heavier bullet and a soft-lead HP if it was otherwise legal.

I do have a .30 carbine that is an amazingly versatile gun, but its a custom build. That model comes in .25 by default.

Here’s the .30 carbine with a light thermal on a coon hunt.

View attachment 3691536
PCP's have always intrigued me. We used to shoot frogs with 22's but they banned them. You can use airguns though. I considered getting a Benjamin marauder for the frogs but never did. Would be cool to shoot a deer with one. How do you charge the tank back up?

PCP's have always intrigued me. We used to shoot frogs with 22's but they banned them. You can use airguns though. I considered getting a Benjamin marauder for the frogs but never did. Would be cool to shoot a deer with one. How do you charge the tank back up?
I see that you’re from S AL & am I correct in understanding you saying that they’ve banned the use of .22 rimfires there? Is that only for frog hunting or does that cover other hunting also. The reason I’m wondering is I’m in S MS & hope that insanity doesn’t spread across the state line.
I think the air guns are a great possibility, but I look on them just like EVs. If someone wants one that’s fine, but I feel like there are to many things being introduced hoping people will buy in mass & possibly phase out the other options. I wonder if air guns vs powder propelled firearms could be in the same category. I’m not trying to get political but we all know that they are trying to kill the firearm industry!

I see that you’re from S AL & am I correct in understanding you saying that they’ve banned the use of .22 rimfires there? Is that only for frog hunting or does that cover other hunting also. The reason I’m wondering is I’m in S MS & hope that insanity doesn’t spread across the state line.
I think the air guns are a great possibility, but I look on them just like EVs. If someone wants one that’s fine, but I feel like there are to many things being introduced hoping people will buy in mass & possibly phase out the other options. I wonder if air guns vs powder propelled firearms could be in the same category. I’m not trying to get political but we all know that they are trying to kill the firearm industry!
Banned them for use on frogs, and put a limit on them. A limit.... on frogs.... thanks Facebook.

You can shoot them with a crossbow though.... :hmm

Legal methods are all bows, airguns .25cal or smaller, gigs, nets, and hand catching in AL. They don't mention whopping with a boat paddle so I guess that's a grey area... :gig

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom