The Gun Thread

Pics
PCP's have always intrigued me. We used to shoot frogs with 22's but they banned them. You can use airguns though. I considered getting a Benjamin marauder for the frogs but never did. Would be cool to shoot a deer with one. How do you charge the tank back up?
my pcp pistol (which uses a small tank) i use a hand pump made for that use case, but it takes a lot of pumping.

I have PCPs in .177, .22, .25, .300, ,308, .357, and .45. .25 is by far the most versatile.

Now in Florida, to deer hunt with an airgun the caliber had to be .30 or above. So I often carry my .300 or .308 afield as it allows me to legal harvest anything I may come across in the proper season. But a .25 of proper power could take anything I’d want to. I’d even take a Florida sized whitetail on a lung shot with the .25 if using a heavier bullet and a soft-lead HP if it was otherwise legal.

I do have a .30 carbine that is an amazingly versatile gun, but its a custom build. That model comes in .25 by default.

Here’s the .30 carbine with a light thermal on a coon hunt.

View attachment 3691536
very nice! one less masked bandit around!

no big game hunting with air guns here, can only use them for furbearers, upland game birds and small game. which gives a lot of hunting. (with no limit on caliber meaning i guess that .72 cal one would be legal for grouse lol)

PCP's have always intrigued me. We used to shoot frogs with 22's but they banned them. You can use airguns though. I considered getting a Benjamin marauder for the frogs but never did. Would be cool to shoot a deer with one. How do you charge the tank back up?
I have a compressor that I hook the guns up to. But should I lose access to electricity, I have a carbon fiber firefighter tank I keep filled that could service several guns for a few reloads each and I also have hand pumps.

I see that you’re from S AL & am I correct in understanding you saying that they’ve banned the use of .22 rimfires there? Is that only for frog hunting or does that cover other hunting also. The reason I’m wondering is I’m in S MS & hope that insanity doesn’t spread across the state line.
I think the air guns are a great possibility, but I look on them just like EVs. If someone wants one that’s fine, but I feel like there are to many things being introduced hoping people will buy in mass & possibly phase out the other options. I wonder if air guns vs powder propelled firearms could be in the same category. I’m not trying to get political but we all know that they are trying to kill the firearm industry!
My two cents on that is that airguns have been around for several centuries. Lewis and Clark had a big bore PCP they took with them on their expedition. Only materials and designs have changed recently. And Youtube has made them very popular.

Regulators are usually wary of high-powered PCPs when they become aware of them. They aren’t legally firearms in most states, so people who are otherwise restricted in firearm ownership can have them. So old-time airgunners used to grumble at the attention airguns get in social media on the concern that more attention will mean more regulation. So I don’t think any powers that be are offering airguns as a substitute for firearms. Airguns just happen to have already existed in that niche but were unknown to the average shooter until the last 15 years.

My two cents on that is that airguns have been around for several centuries. Lewis and Clark had a big bore PCP they took with them on their expedition. Only materials and designs have changed recently. And Youtube has made them very popular.

Regulators are usually wary of high-powered PCPs when they become aware of them. They aren’t legally firearms in most states, so people who are otherwise restricted in firearm ownership can have them. So old-time airgunners used to grumble at the attention airguns get in social media on the concern that more attention will mean more regulation. So I don’t think any powers that be are offering airguns as a substitute for firearms. Airguns just happen to have already existed in that niche but were unknown to the average shooter until the last 15 years.
Yes, they have been around for many years, & although there has been great advances in power & ballistics, I don’t believe anyone has came up with a PCP that has the ability for high capacity & fast reloading. I am always glad to be corrected. I love learning new information.

As for suggesting that the government is pushing this, I definitely didn’t mean to insinuate that was the case. There is much dissertation that I could go into on this but I will avoid going on or starting a rant on this.

Full Auto MAC-10 with a Lage 9mm 72 round sumoi drum conversion and omega 36M...
tenor (7).gif

I see that you’re from S AL & am I correct in understanding you saying that they’ve banned the use of .22 rimfires there? Is that only for frog hunting or does that cover other hunting also. The reason I’m wondering is I’m in S MS & hope that insanity doesn’t spread across the state line.
This is NOT an endorsement but just a story.
I had an Uncle who was a subsistance hunter who my Father said sometimes hunted frogs with a .410.
:eek:(My actual reaction.)
Dad explained that he would fire about a foot to the side and a stray pellet or two would catch the frog.

This is NOT an endorsement but just a story.
I had an Uncle who was a subsistance hunter who my Father said sometimes hunted frogs with a .410.
:eek:(My actual reaction.)
Dad explained that he would fire about a foot to the side and a stray pellet or two would catch the frog.
That would be like 'barkin' a squirrel. You shoot the tree bark under it to frag the squirrel so not to ruin the pelt.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom