The Gun Thread

Pics
f2927dd7b42027f8.jpg

:lol:

What would be the best firearm for euthanizing chickens? I’m new to chickens and my babies are only three weeks old right now, but I know this is something I will probably face at some point. I’m very sensitive when it comes to animals and they will be beloved pets. Cutting off their heads or breaking their necks is too hands on for me… I have never shot an animal but I grew up shooting and I’m comfortable with a gun. I think I would be less likely to make a mistake utilizing a method that I’m most comfortable with, that is also quick and humane. That being said, are there air guns or pellet guns that would suffice? I’ve seen lots of talk about .22s and I’m not opposed, I’m just looking for an economical option. Also, any advice on the act of putting an animal down would be very much appreciated! I want to be educated and prepared so that I’m not frantic if I ever need to do it

What would be the best firearm for euthanizing chickens? I’m new to chickens and my babies are only three weeks old right now, but I know this is something I will probably face at some point. I’m very sensitive when it comes to animals and they will be beloved pets. Cutting off their heads or breaking their necks is too hands on for me… I have never shot an animal but I grew up shooting and I’m comfortable with a gun. I think I would be less likely to make a mistake utilizing a method that I’m most comfortable with, that is also quick and humane. That being said, are there air guns or pellet guns that would suffice? I’ve seen lots of talk about .22s and I’m not opposed, I’m just looking for an economical option. Also, any advice on the act of putting an animal down would be very much appreciated! I want to be educated and prepared so that I’m not frantic if I ever need to do it
I would use a 22 if you are 100% sure you can kill it first shot.

It kills me to have to put a bird down but what I do is soak a paper towel with starting fluid, (ether) and wrap it around the birds head and put both in a sandwich baggie, it will go to sleep quickly. Then I take a zip tie and put it around the neck and tighten it to cut off the air supply. When it finally passes it will shudder a bit and that signals it is all over.

I'd use a youth-sized .22 training rifle like the Rascal or Cricket; they're inexpensive and, as single-shot rifles where you load the cartridge into the chamber by hand, it makes it somewhat safer because you can't end up with another cartridge in the chamber unless you put it there. Meaning the gun cannot load another round like in a semi automatic.

Using a .22 short or a .22 Super Colibri ("light loads") will minimize the risks of over penetration and ricochet.

I use Aguila Super Colibris (Aguila is the brand) in a .22 pistol to dispatch my birds for processing. They're about 10 cents per round and I feel it makes for a very humane end for my fat little meaties.

I would use a 22 if you are 100% sure you can kill it first shot
I'd use a youth-sized .22 training rifle like the Rascal or Cricket; they're inexpensive and, as single-shot rifles where you load the cartridge into the chamber by hand, it makes it somewhat safer because you can't end up with another cartridge in the chamber unless you put it there. Meaning the gun cannot load another round like in a semi automatic.

Using a .22 short or a .22 Super Colibri ("light loads") will minimize the risks of over penetration and ricochet.

I use Aguila Super Colibris (Aguila is the brand) in a .22 pistol to dispatch my birds for processing. They're about 10 cents per round and I feel it makes for a very humane end for my fat little meaties.
Most of my experience is with handguns, I should’ve mentioned that. I’ll look into the Super Colibris, it sounds like a good fit. Do you suggest a specific technique that is less prone to mishaps that may lead to suffering?

Put it in a kill cone, loop a string around its neck and pull it straight to minimize movement, put the barrel as close to the top of the head just behind the axis of the eyes, and squeeze the trigger. After that, I use a sharp knife to sever the arteries or simply cut off the head.

The bird does thrash but it's not experiencing pain, it's only the body doing its dance of disconnection.

My theory is that nerve impulses travel at @220 feet per second and even a subsonic .22 is moving at @600 fps+. The bullet destroys the brain tissue faster than the signals can be transmitted so the chicken's brain doesn't have the capacity to "feel" it.

It kills me to have to put a bird down but what I do is soak a paper towel with starting fluid, (ether) and wrap it around the birds head and put both in a sandwich baggie, it will go to sleep quickly. Then I take a zip tie and put it around the neck and tighten it to cut off the air supply. When it finally passes it will shudder a bit and that signals it is all over.
Can you eat a bird killed using this method, or is this strictly for putting down a sick or injured bird for humane reasons only?

And I was going to ask if, using the following method, can you bleed out the bird thoroughly, but I think you answered that.

But ... do you fire down into the ground?

I've killed a sick hen with a 10/22 to the back of the head. She was very sick and didn't fight me when I put her head on the ground and did the deed. Poor thing didn't even do the death thrash. I've also killed two bully hens with the broomstick method, making sure their heads came off. First head off was an accident, we pulled too hard. Second hen, we thought we pulled hard enough but she flew across the yard after we thought she was gone. I had to grab her and we made sure her head came off the second try. I've also culled a rooster by slicing his neck, we were going to consume him so we needed to bleed him out. Whatever method you need to do(hopefully you won't have to) just do it without hesitation

Back
Top Bottom