The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

My RIR Heritage pullets. I hope they will lay soon.
welcome-byc.gif
Pictures?
photosmile.gif

Im still in the process of finishing my breeding pen for my RIRs, so some are in a dog run others are in with the layers. Show season has just started so I'll be taking several standard hens and a few bantams, most of the roosters are moulting heavily so they wont be shown until they grow back. Its good seeing everyone elses birds and comparing mine to whats out there :)

Quote:Red Star, Comets, Golden Comet, Golden Sex Link, Isa Brown, Red Sex Link are a few names for this chicken. It can be created by crossing a heritage RIR rooster with a heritage RIW hen, but is just as easily created... and more economical to hatcheries... by using production Rhode Islands. Other white hens can be used as well, such as Delaware (most likely what you have judging by the tail's angle and black tips), White Plymouth Rock, White Leghorn, even Barred Rock and others. To answer your question, I'm 99.9% sure it's a hatchery quality hybrid.
Edit: Sorry, crossing RIR roosters with BR hens will produce black sex links. Don't know why I keep saying that. Typing too fast and thinking too slow??? :oops:

Last edited:
Hi! This seems to be a thread of serious RIR folks. I am sure someone here can tell me if my "Red Star" (Ideal hatchery) is really a hatcheryRIR?
She looks like a hatchery RIR Production Red. If you cross a Rhode Island Red male to a Delaware female the female chicks would also look like her, The females will look like a RIR and the males like the Delaware. I have tried several crosses and she looks like my RIR/Del cross.

The difference is more than merely the color. It has to do with "horn" color on the beak and leg fronts, the quality of the tail, the fullness of the tai and the black beetle green tail feathers. The quality of the feathers all over the body, the deep red, "bing cherry" red of the under-color and fluff, the long back and protruding front keel. Folks often can see the color, but type is more than color.

Yes, that's a typical hatchery stock production red, not a Rhode Island Red, inspite of what the hatcheries call them. She'll typically lay lots and lots egss. Enjoy.

I hope to start incubating as soon as I am home from my sons. I have to get this venture off the ground and begin selling some too.
Fred going to have to find a way for us to meet for some intense training. I asked my son for help with some things and some conditions have been placed on his help. Not liking what he expects me to do. I don't see how. I love the birds and where I live and do not want to be forced to move back down to the city life.

It is time to swim or sink myself with birds and life up here.

Back
Top Bottom