What happens if i breed a Rhode Island Red Cross Black Australop with a Rhode Island Red Cross Black Australorp

Pleystowepoultry

Hatching
Mar 29, 2023
I want to start a project to see if i can breed my own laying chickens using a australorip cross Rhode Island Red rooster and a australorp cross Rhode Island Red hen. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone know its egg laying capabilities and potential color?

Breeding two crossbreeds together would give you a very variable array of colors and egg laying capabilities.
D464FB27-1FA1-4A35-BC95-E864BBEA146A.jpeg

I want to start a project to see if i can breed my own laying chickens using a australorip cross Rhode Island Red rooster and a australorp cross Rhode Island Red hen. Has anyone done this before? Does anyone know its egg laying capabilities and potential color?
If both original breeds are good layers, I would expect most of your chicks to grow up to be good layers too, no matter how many times you cross them in which direction. (But if you find a few poor layers, you would not want to raise any chicks from them.)

Egg color should be brown.

Feather color of most chicks:
black with leakage of red, gold, or maybe silver

Feather color of some chicks:
black with no leakage
red or gold with black tail (similar to Rhode Island Red, maybe with a bit of extra black in places)
maybe silver with black tail and may have bits of black in other places too

"Silver" is basically white, but might be a yellowish white or a dirty-looking white in mixed breed birds, because they do not have the other genes that remove the last bits of color. Many black chickens have the silver gene, that turns red/gold to white, which is why it may turn up in your chicks at some point.

There are Rhode island breed already in black Australorp. Good luck.

Oh you could have Rhode island leakage come out.

Back
Top Bottom