The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I'll be worming mine before breeding, just to be on the safe side. I thing Fred mentioned something about that awhile back. It's a good practice, just to be sure your birds are at peak performance once breeding starts. Just be sure to follow egg withdrawal guidelines for the medication you use if you plan on eating any. Usually around 10 days...

What do you use to worm your birds? I was thinking using safeguard goat dewormer

Last edited:
What do you use to worm your birds? I was thinking using safeguard goat dewormer
Ive used wazine in the water per dosage recommended on bottle then have followed up with safe guard for goats the liquid a week or so later but ive heard that instead of doing that Valbazen is a good broad spectrum wormer, and isn't that much more

Ive used wazine in the water per dosage recommended on bottle then have followed up with safe guard for goats the liquid a week or so later but ive heard that instead of doing that Valbazen is a good broad spectrum wormer, and isn't that much more

Whats the dosage of valbazen?

Whats the dosage of valbazen? 
Ive never used it but im guessing its just like the safeguard you have to give it by mouth to each bird, some people suggest doing it at night when the birds are roosting and its easier than chasing them around like i did lol
Heres a link to what other people dose using Valbazen hope it helps
263a.png
Good luck!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/917698/valbazen-dosage

I'm new to this and bought this pair of RIR a couple of months ago. They are 8 months. I was looking for some critiques by someone who knows more than I do. Also I am wanting to add a couple of heritage hens, any Leeds? Thanks

I'm new to this and bought this pair of RIR a couple of months ago. They are 8 months. I was looking for some critiques by someone who knows more than I do. Also I am wanting to add a couple of heritage hens, any Leeds? Thanks
I'm new at this too and will be breeding a trio for the first time in another month. I like your birds' type a lot - they look good to me. Tail angle and color look good too. I can't see the shanks too good on the first few pictures but they look good in the last picture of the pullet. Very nice birds. I think you have some great stock to start with.

I don't know where you're at as far as breeding knowledge goes but I'm a complete rookie at this point. I have a great resource in the breeder I got my reds from - he's been a huge help and I can't thank him enough. I figured out that I want to single-line breed after reading about different methods, and I've been reading older and some new books about genetics since I don't want to make beginner mistakes and mess up the opportunity I have with the good stock I'm starting with. I was perusing the Marans of America club and they have a page with info about shank color genetics and feather color as it relates to Marans but the info is helpful on understanding color genetics in general. Here's the link in case you haven't seen it (http://www.maransofamericaclub.com/basic-genetics.html). I'm also currently reading Laws Governing the Breeding of Standard Fowls; A Book Covering Outbreeding, Inbreeding, and Line Breeding of All Recognized Breeds of Domestic Fowls written in 1912. It's a great book if you haven't looked at it. Granted it's old but the information should still apply. I've been reading all I can; I figure you can't have too much info on the subject.

Good luck to you and I hope to see pictures of your results when they happen.

Quote:
I use Wazine for the younger birds before they start to lay then I don't have to worry about egg withdrawal. On the older birds when they aren't laying well, I use Strike which is pellets that I mix with their feed. I do it a couple of times. There is also another wormer called Rooster Booster that is also pellets. I have also used Ivermectin pour on where I put a few drops on the back of their necks.

Back
Top Bottom