The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Chicks that have hatched so far. 32 eggs left in the incubator. Breeding season has ended, and now I have to wait to see what I have...

0.jpg

WOW! You have gorgeous birds! What a difference. I have never seen true heritage RIRs. Thanks for taking the time and showing me the real thing.

I hadn't either until recently. Didn't even know there was a difference. All I have ever had up to this point were hatchery Reds. I have never had any issues with the production reds until the flock I have now. The hens are feather eatin cannibalistic soon to be culled as soon as my other RIRs start laying. They are production reds that came from ideal hatchery I got for free at the farm store for buying chicken feed. They should be laying in another 2-3 months. Soon as they do the feather eaters are going in the freezer to feed my dogs. I only eat young friers (rabbits and chickens) my dogs get the young ones also when no soup critters are available.

Anyway, I looked into the RIR because I knew they were foragers and mine and at the feeder. It didn't seem right. I started reading this thread and learned quite a bit. I ordered some real birds like Cmom and ur-ur.......put up. I ordered from Dick Horstman because he seemed to get recommended a lot and he had the bloodline I was looking for. I wanted Wilfred Kittle birds and from what I was told Dick ended up with just about all of them when Mr. Kittle passed on.

We are starting up a hobby farm of sorts. I am retired and just wanting to produce as much of my own food as possible as inexpensively as possible. This is the first year we hatched eggs. I had 3 prod reds hatch under a silkie. First time mom hatched 3 out 4. Another week or two and my new RIRs should be here.

I have a pair. Best dog ever made in my book. There have been very few times in my life (since I was a teenager) when I haven't had a Dobie. All other dogs are... just... dogs.
big_smile.png
Mine is sleeping on the couch with his giant teddy bear as I type :) I think he will be quite protective of his flock, because he's very protective of the wild mallards who visit our pond (the only barking he does is at crows, ravens and magpies when they get too close to the pond...and when the deer hop our fence).

Looking forward to Doberman and chicken adventures :)

Hatching is over for the year and some of the coops and pens have been converted back to grow-out. Still have a few more birds to sell so when it's time to separate the males from the females the bachelor pens will be ready. My oldest chicks are now 2 months old and I have quite a few males. I didn't hatch quite as many chicks this year. I hope everyone's hatches went well.

My chicks are 1 month old today. We had a wild spring storm today here in Alberta and the power went out...so my crew got spoiled and kept warm by the fireplace! Deanna is still the smallest of my 4, but she's catching up! IMG_20170524_2000351.jpg Deanna

IMG_20170524_1956112.jpg Beverly (I hope!)

IMG_20170524_1952272.jpg Duke sticking close to his flock!
IMG_20170524_1943157.jpg the whole crew!

My chicks are 1 month old today. We had a wild spring storm today here in Alberta and the power went out...so my crew got spoiled and kept warm by the fireplace! Deanna is still the smallest of my 4, but she's catching up! View attachment 943391Deanna

View attachment 943529 Beverly (I hope!)

View attachment 943984 Duke sticking close to his flock!
View attachment 944246 the whole crew!
Perching next to the fireplace! Those birds have it made!

When chicks are fully feathered they can regulate their own body temperatures pretty well. So, as long as it isn't super cold, they should be fine without heat.

Back
Top Bottom