The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Junior I was on the list as well. Maybe next year. I would be happy to get a trio of old birds. Will try to contact him. If he sold chicks to people this year we must see the results from the buyers. I hope someone out there got some of his started chicks.

Your Rose Combs will at least give you something to work with. They are a old strain going back maybe 60 years. Adrain got them from Rev John Melchart from Minn when he was alive about 35 years ago. They came from many breeders but I think the majorty of his blood lines came from the King Harold Tompkins of Concord Mass befor he died in 1954.

However, I hope some of you get some of Brians birds and we can see what they look like. One person emailed me and wanted to know the age of this strain.
Mrs. Donalson got her start from Owen Farms in 1912 then she crossed in Mohawk V to her line in 1929 a male from Maurice Wallace from Canada. She also had some of Harold Tompkins birds in her line she got the best male of the year in1954 befor Belaborn Farms came to pick up his flock in 1954.

Mr. Reese got some of her birds in the 1950s and then got all his birds along with a friend Buddy Day from Thompson Gain 1967 when she died.

I got my start from Mr. Reese indirectly 22 years ago. Sold out about ten years ago becasue two rookies said my birds could not win up north because they where to small. My males weighed 8 1/2 to 9 lbs at ten months of age. Go figure. After I sold out every one said they where the correct size.

So hope that helps you who wanted to know the history of the strain. Do any one else have Mr. Reeses old line of large fowl? bob

Last edited:
Has many people got chicks out from Eggs from Gary Ramey of South Carolina? The two contacts that I got got poor hatches about 15% Any one have pictures of thier chicks yet? Remember to take pictures when they start crowing and laying eggs that will be the test to see if they are the old fashion Heritage look I am hoping for.

Bob,

I have 15 birds that are 13 and 15 weeks old that I got from Gary Ramey. I got eggs and chicks from him. I was able to go out to his place and pick them up, and seen some of his 18 month old birds. They were very dark, almost black looking, and were big birds, alot bigger than the hatchery reds I used to have. The young birds I have from him are not quite as dark as his 18 month olds. I am hoping they darken up with a little more age. I will try to post some pics this weekend.

Last edited:
Iam so glad you posted Arron . I remember you got to visit his yards. If they looked dark and big to you then your birds should do the same. They will darken up as the pullets get into thier final coat of feathers. When they start to lay take pictures for us. They will be at thier prime on or about the tenth egg that they lay for the camera. The males need more time to mature. About ten months they should be looking at thier best. Give them good protein, grass , fresh water and they will do the rest. If you get a few males or females and you know thier age that mature faster then the others mark these birds. These are the special fast feathering birds and make great breeders. bob
you have my email address send me some picutres and if you would email mail me and I would like to keep in touch with you. BOB

Last edited:
I'm glad someone is having luck with the ramey line. I bought over 100 eggs through e-bay auctions and have four chicks. I had many chicks to hatch that couldn't get off their back and die in two days. I also had several to die at 1 to 4 weeks of age. I had very few other chicks to die out of over 400 hatched. I also only had about a 10% hatchrate and always set other eggs with his and had around a 50% hatch on other shipped eggs and over 90% with my own eggs. I have one thats 12 weeks old and still hasn't completely feathered out. I also bought from a couple of other breeders that ended up being nothing more than production reds. I can sure see why the heritage rhode island red is so rare, where can you get them?

Aaron, i would really like to see the pictures from the ramey line you have. The pictures of his birds look very good to me. I can also post some of the four i have to compare. I don't know what the problem is, but i did all i could do, and i also know a few who bought his eggs and had the same bad luck as i had. Could all those years of line breeding cause a defect in the line? I contacted Gary, seems like a very nice man and he claimed he hasn't had this problem hatching his own eggs. I know shipped eggs are a gamble, but after over 100 eggs and the same thing i give up. Junior, i really have my mind on the single comb as thats what i had when i was a kid. I would like to see your birds since your so close though. Bob, no i didn't get your message, but i hope you and others with so much knowledge about the heritage breed keep me in mind if you run across some. I will take very good care of them, and will take all the advise i get on improving the line. Thanks.Billy.

Hey Robert, I got your message on my website. I have only managed to hatch 3 chicks from the roo that you sent me.
sad.png
Unfortunately I only have 1 hen, and she had developed a nasty habit of egg eating. Well, I think I have broken her of it for the most part. 2 of the chicks are probably 8 weeks old. I will try to get pics tonight and post them. The other chick is only 2 days old. I am desperately seeking good quality bantam RIR hens. If anyone here knows of anyone or has any. Please PM me. Also, I took your roo to the spring show in Sedalia, did well. The bird who beat him was very nice though. Here is the pic of him at the show.

46048_033.jpg

Billy, I will try and get some pictures of my birds this weekend. I am heading out of town tomorrow, but will try to get some on Sunday when I get back. His birds that I seen when I picked up my chicks from him were really nice. I bought eggs from him and picked those up as well, I had 9 out of 12 develop and had 7 hatch. I have had a few deaths, not sure what happened with them but they died after we had the first really hot weather of the year not sure if that had something to do with it or not. I have met him twice and he is a super nice person. He seems to have a wealth of knowledge when it come to chickens.
Bob, I will email you some pics when I get a chance to take some. I will also email you pics as they grow out and mature. I'll keep in touch.

Hi all! I am a new chicken owner and have a question about the sex of my RIR chickie. "She" is only 3 days old (i know, i know, probably too early to tell), but she already has a little bit of a comb. Like the other 3 (all different varieties) she is starting to get her wing feathers. They are coming in a light red with tanish stripes. She also seems to be protective over the other chicks, especially my little Delaware. Always the first one to come to my hand, and gets between me and the other chicks. She also has a longer neck than the others, but that could be specific to the breed? I'm really hoping she is a "she" but im awfully suspicious. Any thoughts?

Edited because i just realized that this is probably the wrong section for this question. I will repost in the "what breed/sex" section. Sorry!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom