The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Hello all, great thread, very informative and some beautiful pics! We were looking for some genuine RIRs, my wife insists that our production reds are nothing like the reds she remembers growing up in RI lol. I have found some online breeders but before we order just wanted to see if there was anyone locally breeding RIRs, rather support local businesses and pick up our chicks instead of having them shipped. We are located near Colorado Springs, CO. Thanks![/quote

You might ask Bob, I believe there is a breeder in Colorado that has some of his old Mohawk line.
He post on here sometimes. I can't remember what he goes by. Maybe he will speak up.

Ron

Well, I'll hopefully be joining those that have the old RIR, or SOP RIR. I just put 16 RC RIR in the incubator. I bought them locally, but they were stated to be Dick Horstman line, so the genetics should be there. If not, they weren't so expensive not to start over. I'll be spending sometime reading all the previous posts.

Congratulations are in order again to Bobby Anderson, as he has won again with yet another different cockerel bird.
His is a hard act to follow.
There was over 300 large fowl and a total of over 1000 birds at this show. Bobby won BV, which then graduated to BB, American Champion, and finally Reserve Large fowl. He has won with different birds in every show!
(Just how many great birds can one man have anyway?)
I was able to pull off Reserve Breed Large Fowl with a Rademacher line pullet, and I hope give Bobby a minute of anxiety as the judge kept looking first at his cockerel and then at my pullet.
This was my first year with chickens, and my 2ND time showing.
Bobby has been mentoring me and has been a great help.
Congratulations Bobby --you da man---.

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=redforum&thread=4517&page=1#31912#ixzz2Erkpwsb2

Thanks Don,
Congratulations on your pullet.She was very nice.Good deep body nice color very nice.I can take no credit for the bird I showed.W.H.Radford was kind enough to sell him to me just a few weeks ago.I saw him and this bird at the show in Virginia.He invited me up to see his flock.I was very impressed with the color and size of these RIR's.He bought them as chicks from Mr.Lloyd Flanagan.Mr.Flanagan has developed some of the best Reds I have seen.I hope to get a few more and continue this line as well as what I already have.
Thanks W.H. and Mr.Flanagan,
Bobby

Hi I was wondering what the difference was with the Mohawk line of RIRs? It is just a someone's specific line or is there something different about them. I would also like to get some nice heritage straight comb RIR this spring, like the ones we had when I was a kid. It seems like the hatchery ones that I have been getting get reproductive problems earlier and are less hardy than the old school RIR.

Last edited:
Just a line of Reds I worked on bout 25 years ago. I pulled a lost gene to the surface from a old male used in 1929 called Mohawk V.

There are many other good lines out there what state do you live in maybe we can help you find what you are looking for. bob

Back
Top Bottom