The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

On more than one occasion I've been beaten by a bird I sold. Never bothered me a bit. I always figured there's one person who won't be telling people I sold him a bad bird.
Sounds to me like you have it together. And if you get beat by your own stock you sold, then you're doing something right.
thumbsup.gif

I wish I could buy good birds for $50.00 like some have mentioned here. I bought three LF RIR's from a master breeder at Lucasville this fall. He wanted $100.00 apiece for them. I needed them to mate to my own birds of the same line or else I wouldn't have bought them. I ended up paying $75.00 each for them. I'm still mad at myself for buying them, they have way too many faults. I mention my tale of woe, to make a point, anyone expecting to purchase a breeders top of the line birds, or his early chicks from his best birds, is going to be disapointed.
My advise to anyone wanting to start raising a breed is obtain the best birds you can get and then do it the same way the master breeders did, breed them yourself. Breed a lot of them, then cull heavily, keep doing that until you have what you are looking for.
A guy got upset at me last week at a show because I wouldn't sell my best cockerel and pullet to him. Sorry, but I want to show birds next season too. On the other hand a friend gave me three pullets, a cock, and a cockerel from the Don Nelson line. They aren't the best birds I've ever seen but the DNA is there for me to use.

I wish I could buy good birds for $50.00 like some have mentioned here. I bought three LF RIR's from a master breeder at Lucasville this fall. He wanted $100.00 apiece for them. I needed them to mate to my own birds of the same line or else I wouldn't have bought them. I ended up paying $75.00 each for them. I'm still mad at myself for buying them, they have way too many faults. I mention my tale of woe, to make a point, anyone expecting to purchase a breeders top of the line birds, or his early chicks from his best birds, is going to be disapointed. 
  My advise to anyone wanting to start raising a breed is obtain the best birds you can get and then do it the same way the master breeders did, breed them yourself. Breed a lot of them, then cull heavily, keep doing that until you have what you are looking for.
  A guy got upset at me last week at a show because I wouldn't sell my best cockerel and pullet to him. Sorry, but I want to show birds next season too. On the other hand a friend gave me three pullets, a cock, and a cockerel from the Don Nelson line. They aren't the best birds I've ever seen but the DNA is there for me to use.    

I'm right there with u Hon. Luckily i got some help from a good freind who put me in contact with two Texas breedes. I'm also waiting lis as well.

Don't give up it will workout. VIVI

My chicks are just turning 4 weeks old. They are feathering in very quickly now. These pics were taken under a bright light and a flash, they are much darker then the pics show. I have 4 SC and 1 RC, the back right is the RC. I am really liking these little ones. They are super friendly.

Penny

Penny
All chicks are cute, those are adorable. I have a question for you if you will indulge me please. Do all of your Heritage Road Island Reds have that much white in them as chicks? I am presently hatching out my first batch of Heritage's and I am wondering if I should look for the white on the tips of the wings when they are feathering out. I am actually glad i have seen this. I probably would panic if I seen white in them.

Delisha,
It really isn't white. The bright light is just washing out the color. It is more of a buffy/tanish color. They are in my room which is dark so I had to turn on a bright light plus the flash of the camera really washes out the color. One reason I hate taking indoor pics.

What line are you hatching out?

Penny

Delisha,
It really isn't white. The bright light is just washing out the color. It is more of a buffy/tanish color. They are in my room which is dark so I had to turn on a bright light plus the flash of the camera really washes out the color. One reason I hate taking indoor pics.

What line are you hatching out?

Penny
Gary Underwood lines..

It's OK. I was just looking at them trying to really see what color it is but I am not good at describing colors. It is a tannish color but redish as well. Mine are Underwoods as well. Jimmyjay has some that are about a week older then mine and he probably can describe it better then I can.

What I can say is that you will love them. Mine are feathering out nice and dark and are very friendly, but nosey. They are relatively quiet compared to other breeds I have hatched out. I am really happy with them so far and plan on definitely expanding this flock.

Penny

It's OK. I was just looking at them trying to really see what color it is but I am not good at describing colors. It is a tannish color but redish as well. Mine are Underwoods as well. Jimmyjay has some that are about a week older then mine and he probably can describe it better then I can.

What I can say is that you will love them. Mine are feathering out nice and dark and are very friendly, but nosey. They are relatively quiet compared to other breeds I have hatched out. I am really happy with them so far and plan on definitely expanding this flock.

Penny
Where did you get them if you do not mind me asking?

Back
Top Bottom