The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

To what end? Why is this cross being considered? If it's to be done in a controlled fashion with a goal in mind that's one thing; if it's for the "new blood" so many people feel the need to introduce then I wouldn't. The absolute best way to screw up a breeding program is to indescriminately cross strains.

He is trying to correct bad breeding, that the previous owner done. The previous owner of the flock "flock bred" the birds with no selective mating, and they have lost some type and turned lighter color. The person whom i am speaking has a family history of breeding birds going back to his grandparents, and i usually trust his breeding advice. In the case of RIRs i would rather get the advice of a group of long time breeders, for my own advice. I now have no intention of breeding this cross strain into my program.

the birds have potential to be nice birds with some very discriminate breeding, I do not yet have the RIR breeding skills to take on such a task and he might. Thanks for all of your opinions. If he wants to spend years correcting the outcome, then i will let him borrow one of my roos.

Quote:
I keep hearing here, on BYC, about the well known problem of fertility in rose combed breeds. I've never heard about this problem anywhere else. I've bred Wyandotte Bantams, Hamburgs in both bantam & large fowl & Rosecomb Bantams for years & have never noticed their fertility being any worse than any of my other breeds.
Now I understand that my personal experience does not constitue a scientifically valid sample but I've not heard other breeders of rose combed birds talk of fertility problems either. There's a well known breeder of Rosecomb Bantams here in NY who hatches 1,000 or mre Black Rosecombs a year. His fertility can't be too bad.

I did a lot of research on this subject when I found out I would be hatching RC RIR. There are many studies and research done on this issue. What I concluded from my research is that the fertility issue is due to the genetic link between the RC and sperm motility on chromosome 7. It seems it effects RR and not Rr or rr. From what I read this issue is even present when using AI.

I am not up on all the genetic stuff, way to old to be worried about all that. What I concluded was that if I did have a fertility issue with my RC I would just keep smaller breeding flocks. I have also read that people raising RC RIRs have not experienced this problem so maybe there is something in the RIR genetics that has resolved the issue on it's own or there may be some difference on chromosome 7 in the RIR. Who knows, but I think if it is an issue there are ways to work around it, IMO.

Penny

Here is a question for those that raise and show quaility chickens

I am now ready to start mating my birds. A little background might be in order first. I have shown my birds and discovered which is my best cockerel and 2nd best cockerel.
Also, my best pullet and the four next best pullets. I have 12 pullets total. (They are all of the same lineage of course, and not to closely related).

How should I proceed in the mating of these birds? I would like to breed about 50 chicks from this lineage.

Here is a question for those that raise and show quaility chickens

I am now ready to start mating my birds. A little background might be in order first. I have shown my birds and discovered which is my best cockerel and 2nd best cockerel.
Also, my best pullet and the four next best pullets. I have 12 pullets total. (They are all of the same lineage of course, and not to closely related).

How should I proceed in the mating of these birds? I would like to breed about 50 chicks from this lineage.
ReplyQuote Multi
I don't know how the message above was so messed up, but this is how it was supposed to look.

Quote: I agree. A friend of mine crossed some reds from a few different strain a few years ago and is terminating the whole bunch of birds. This guy is not a rookie either. No need to cross strains of Rhode Island Reds unless you are a backyard er and they do this like turning on the heater in the winter time. To preserve a good strain you just breed from it as you are going to destroy all the good traits that he or she has worked on over the last ten years. You all want good egg production if you cross you will most likely wee ken it.

In regards to Rose Combs being poor hatchers or egg layers dont know where this came from. Maybe in commerical hatchery stock but not Standard Breed birds. Heck in cold climates they may be better.

I culled my RIRs down to the 4 best. Got rid of the ones that had the worst combs, leg color, and shape. Here is a pic of 2 that I kept.

These are 19 weeks old and will be in my laying pen but I am planning on eventually putting my SC Underwood over them to see if I can improve the quality a bit and then do selective breeding from there.

Penny

They are nice. VIVI
I culled my RIRs down to the 4 best. Got rid of the ones that had the worst combs, leg color, and shape. Here is a pic of 2 that I kept.

These are 19 weeks old and will be in my laying pen but I am planning on eventually putting my SC Underwood over them to see if I can improve the quality a bit and then do selective breeding from there.

Penny

http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id67.html

Here is a article I wrote for a beginner a few months ago using the experience of what Matt 1616 did two years ago. All you got to do is change the name of R I Reds or single comb or rose comb and it will apply.

I am getting back to the basics of breeding my Buff Brahmas and White Rock Bantams. Two males two females and will line breed them in pairs for three years. Hatch about thirty to forty chicks per breed and that will be that. If I could find a friend who would be my partner for five to ten years I would split up the family's and we each have one.

I have got the traits pretty well fixed and just got to select the best heads, keep them small and keep it simple so they will just reproduce them selves and be a consistent blood line.

The same goes with R I Reds one male one female maybe two if you can afford to raise that many but if she is just a so so bird or has a bad comb don't breed her you will not keep her chicks for breeding the next year you will keep the female with the good head. Example. I have a Male called Mr. Bill he is from New York. He is half mine and half New York Reds line of Red Bantams. I crossed him onto a pullet and a hen of mine last year. I got a killer ckl and a killer pullet. In fact she has a head just like his with a blade that is so true to the curve of the skull.

She is going into the pen with her sire Mr. Bill. Mr. Bill Jr. is going into the pen with the old hen.

I will line breed these two pairs for three years that is mate the best son back to the hen and the best daughter back to Mr. Bill. Then on the fourth year if I am lucky cross the birds and pick a killer male and female and do it all over again.

So for the first year just pick the best male or two. The best female or two and have one or two matings. However, here is the secret of importants. You got to order you a Toe Punch from a Poultry Supply house and put a hole between a toe of your little chick as soon as he comes out of the hatches. You got to know what chick came from what breeding pen pen one no punch pen two outside right toe for example.

Then just raise them up get leg bands that you can see good with numbers on them like white or light blue get you a cheap three ring note pad and takes notes maybe pictures all year long as they grow up and pick the best off spring a year from now and do it all over again.

Hope this helps a little. If you need more help as a beginner ask us. We want you to feed the best birds possable and maintain what you have and maybe learn how to improve them on the way as the years go buy.Rember KISS.

Merry Christmas to you. Keep supporting these grand old birds the Rhode Island Reds.

Steve I bet you thought I did not name my chickens didn't you? Nice talking to you yesterday. bob

Back
Top Bottom