The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Thanks, the hens lay more than the production reds I used to have. Really liking the reds so far.
I see you have a pigeon in your picture. Do you show them?

I wonder what the average entry fee is to show a pigeon?

This coming year I may volunteer to be a pigeon show sec for some local pigeon exhibitors when we have your Spring and Winter Show in Pensacola. We can have the show in our little poultry barn and the big show in the flower building like we did this past Dec.

Might be a good fund raiser for our club.

If anyone knows where there are some bantam or large fowl cages used from a Poultry Show that has closed down let me know. We are in the market to buy some for our Poultry Club in the near future.

I see you have a pigeon in your picture. Do you show them?

I wonder what the average entry fee is to show a pigeon?

This coming year I may volunteer to be a pigeon show sec for some local pigeon exhibitors when we have your Spring and Winter Show in Pensacola. We can have the show in our little poultry barn and the big show in the flower building like we did this past Dec.

Might be a good fund raiser for our club.

If anyone knows where there are some bantam or large fowl cages used from a Poultry Show that has closed down let me know. We are in the market to buy some for our Poultry Club in the near future.

Yes I've shown pigeons all my life my grandpa showed and took me and my cousin with him loved showing and breeding pigeons every since. Local shows around me are usually 2$ a bird but can be more expensive to the bigger shows you go to.

I usually keep up with my reading on this thread, but lately have gotten behind. So, I thought I would catch up tonight. I keep reading where every one wants Heritage RIR eggs. Let me reason with you a little while. First off I purchased the best available breeding stock. $75.00 a bird. Then an incubator $700 -$800. The best breeder feed at $17.00 per 50lbs. ( which only last a few days, with the amount birds one needs to produce enough show stock.) Then their were the pens I purchased, $1000.00 and the breeder pens $500.00, and the isolation pens, $150.00 The brooder pen $100.00- $400.00, the wire for the top of the pens $100.00 and the wood to build the Roof covering for the pens-$300.00, and the tin panels for the roof $630.00. and 4x4 posts I've forgotten how much they were.
Why would I ever think of selling eggs to someone that just wants to save a few dollars? I charge $7.00 a chick, I've sold every chick hatched so far this January, plus a trio. I might have made enough money to pay for their food for a few months. If I were to sell eggs, how much would I have to get for them to pay for their parents food? Remember on a good brood hatch only about 75-80% reach full hatch, and then you can look to lose a few more later. And if you buy shipped eggs do you really think you will have a better average? Do you really think you will be getting the sellers best eggs or just some eggs from off his "less then perfect birds?"
The only reason to own an incubator is to have the experience of observing chicks born, or to brood your own breeding stock, They are not made to save a person money.
I tell you in all honesty I brood for my own use, then I brood for a few people that I think are sincere in their desire to raise real Heritage RIR's, I only sell chicks that come from my best birds (usually less then 6% of all the chicks I've raised). Finally what eggs I don't eat from all of my birds including my best birds, I give to the neighbors they really enjoy fresh eggs in the morning. The eggs you will get on the internet at a discount price, I consider them in value at just a little bit lower than the birds being sold at flee markets by the local, "I'll get rid of these sick birds one way or the other",Con Artist. At least you know if the con artist's birds will be alive when you get them.
My advice to you--buy live chicks from a reputable brooder pay $7 to $9 dollars apiece. Then if you are still interested in 6 to 8 months, raise your own. When you do, let me know how many eggs you want to sell to people who just want to save a buck or two. If you want some of my HRIR birds that for some reason just didn't make the grade of "MY BEST BIRDS" I will sell them to you at a discount they will have the genetics / DNA but don't expect to win with them. I'll be keeping those for myself do you blame me?

Not everyone who sells eggs is a crook.
I only keep and breed "My best birds" Hatched over 100 last year.
You can't tell which chicks at hatch will be SQ anymore than which egg will produce SQ chicks. But breeding only the best gives you more chances to produce the best.

Right now I have 2 two year old hens, 1 four year old hen and 5 eleven month old pullets.

Today they layed 6 eggs. In one month I can hatch more than all the chicks I need for the year.

5 eggs average x 7 days= 35 x 4= 140

I don't think everyone who purchases eggs is a cheap skate.
Yes we do have a lot of money and time in these birds, but we don't do it for the money. I hope to pay for my feed to keep me going.

I sell and ship both chicks and eggs. Eggs much simpler. Most people now days know the risk of shipped hatching eggs. I also would not sell chicks or eggs from less than my best quality because it is MY NAME that will be associated with them. If I can help a few people get started that good with me.

BTW if you read the old poultry ads from early 1900's all of the big time breeders sold hatching eggs as well as chicks.

We should be helping others get started by what ever means (if we really are trying to preserve the HRIR)

Thats just me, others may feel different and that's ok.

Ron

Last edited:
Just saw a nice Cockeral from the chicks I shipped to Chris, looks real nice. I have a real nice one this year, pretty proud of him. I will try to get my girlfreind out to post a picture so you can pick him apart for me. I hope he does good for me.

My females finally started laying, thought they would never start. I had light on since Oct. Going to set a batch this weekend.

We have a very small batch brewery here in my little town in Colorado and once a week I am able to get spent grain from them. I supplement the layer feed, it seems to have really put a shine on those Mowhawks. The chickens really like it and best of all it is free. It is still warm when I bring it home and smells real good. I ate some for breakfast last week very tasty.

Paul

You can't tell which chicks at hatch will be SQ anymore than which egg will produce SQ chicks. But breeding only the best gives you more chances to produce the best.

Right now I have 2 two year old hens, 1 four year old hen and 5 eleven month old pullets.

Today they layed 6 eggs. In one month I can hatch more than all the chicks I need for the year.

Yes we do have a lot of money and time in these birds, but we don't do it for the money. I hope to pay for my feed to keep me going.

I sell and ship both chicks and eggs. Eggs much simpler. Most people now days know the risk of shipped hatching eggs. I also would not sell chicks or eggs from less than my best quality because it is MY NAME that will be associated with them. If I can help a few people get started that good with me.

BTW if you read the old poultry ads from early 1900's all of the big time breeders sold hatching eggs as well as chicks.

We should be helping others get started by what ever means (if we really are trying to preserve the HRIR)

Ron
Amen Ron,
A big thumbs up to you for your comment. Worded very nicely.
Jim

Ron
YUUUP!
smile.png

I agree, mee too

There are some folks that don't sell eggs then there are some that do, its an individual choice. Just because one or two people say they don't or say that "real" breeders don't, this is not the "gospel"/"law" it is just their "say-so". Not everybody is the same or going to do the same as "ol Joe" it would make for a boring uninteresting world to live in.(programmed robots)
hmm.png
there has/needs to be a little variety(spice) in life, IMO
wink.png

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom