The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I put layer pellets in the feeders every day but usually only have to do it once a day because I put quite a bit in the feeder. I do give them a little scratch twice a day and they really do look forward to it. I do put a spoonful of sugar in the chick water the first day that they are in the brooder and from day 2 up until they go outside they don't get any water without the ACV in it. lol I remember my mom used to put Kayro syrup in the baby bottle with water for her babies and she had 12 do I think there might be something to the sugar. lol Like Fred, I like being with my birds. I work at home so I am with them all day long off and on. lol As for the ACV, that is the only thing that I have taken all my life for upset stomach, indigestion, headache etc. I take no precription meds at all and am 65. Vinegar fizz is the best. lol
Jim
Thanks Jim. Your birds look like they are taken care of very well.

Dan

I wouldn't have confidence in an ebay seller, sorry.  You might hit a home run one in 3 dozen times, but the other 35 times?  Nah.
Further, shipped eggs are iffy, hatch rates can be absurdly low and selling packs of 6 eggs?  Really?   That's kind of odd.

Why does this person still have their breeding pens running?  Question I'd ask myself.  Why is this person asking people to take a chance in the dead heat of mid-summer with shipped eggs?  Another question I'd ask.  

It's alright because I am going to a MAJOR buy sell swap thing 2 hours away from my house. I plan on finding some REALLY good show chickens.

Strange story...
HRIR had been in our family for years... my great grandfather had Rose Combs in the early 1900's thru 1940 that he raised and competed all over IL and MO. When I tried to find those old lines and get back into the Rose Combs years ago, I had a hard time finding what I was looking for so... I settled for Production Reds because I got impatient in my search. Remember... I'm not a youngster... and finding these lines prior to the internet was NOT an easy task. The young folks of today just take for granted how easy information is to access with the touch of a few keys. I actually got in touch with Gary after listening to him on a radio show on a totally different topic... strange story... but...
that road led me to him and to the HRIR I have today, which I am so grateful for.
Then... with this site... the information available is SO plentiful.
As I've said before... I'm so grateful to all the experienced folks here who are willing to share their time and knowledge.
I have always been interested in Home farming and farm/food animals from my Dad's Family stories. My Grand parents and Great Grand Parents and above were all Farmers, and raised their own food, built their own homes, bread their own horses, fixed their own equipment, and made many jobs for their neighbors. Now I find out that they have had chickens since the turn of the century. Rocks and Reds were their typical choices. There is just something special and unique about these Reds though. I enjoy the excitement of being able to narrow down the flock, breed from the best kept ones, then seeing how the next years birds improve. Then do it all over again. The anticipation never gets old but just more exciting. Sometimes I think back to the birds of the past and wonder how things would be different if I had chosen to chase more specific traits. I would see other friends birds and wonder how they got such great stock. I was so grateful for the help of the friends who sold me some of their great birds when I was a youngster. Sometimes I would "get lucky" with the breedings and young birds would turn out great. As a young kid, I never thought about breeding in order to get a result 3,4,or 5 generations down the line. I did not know about "Setting or Fixing a trait" in the pure bread lines. This is why I enjoy hearing the methods of breeding and caring for the birds so much. Information that would have taken a lifetime is here at the push of a button. What is amazing is that the push of a button is really "10 years efforts" of someone who carried the feed bucket and made specific breeding choices before us. I like knowing that I can see, or learn to see, what the breeders before me were able to see in the RIR standards of perfection. Hopefully the Breeders Eye will get better year by year. Thanks for everyones help!

And on another note.............................yesterday at the CA State Fair my SC RIR cockerel was Ch. American.

Admittedly the competition wasn't stiff being a fair show, but I'll post a picture of him later.

smile.png

Deleted as got my cart before my horses LOL I reread the ad and it was for Bantam reds, those I have no idea on I was just thinking of Lg. Fowl here as this thread is more devoted to in discussion.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this thread go for both bantam and standard RC and SC?
yes as Red Bantams fit in to the old breeds or H type birds. They started in the 1930s by a fellow named Perrin Johnson from New York. He crossed old English games and cochins bantams to get the bantam gene into them to shrink them down to a bantam. That's why today we see many red bantams with cushions or elevated top lines not like our large fowl as the bantam folks are putting to much pressure on width of feather. The standard calls for a medium width of feather on a large fowl does not say a nice wide feather on a bantam. There for we have a new style of red bantam today which started twenty years ago in North Carolina its top line looks like a Rock or sometimes like a Wyandotte. They have good dark color and the current judges pick these over brick shape flat back bantams. So if you buy a strain you may be disappointed in what you get as they are not the old fashion brick shape flat top line bantams of twenty or thirty years ago. There are only a hand full of these old fashion bantams left. However, it appears from the pictures of all the large fowl birds posted on this thead the large fowl reds have got their old fashion flat top lines and their oblong brick shape bodies. So at least we are good in that department. E bay is not a good spot to buy Reds. These people are not on the hole fanciers or followers of the standard maybe one or two but most have feed store stuff. You can buy chicks from hatcheries that are bantams. Think about what they look like after they are ten months old however.

Back
Top Bottom