The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I thought of a pie but I don't know if they do sugar and I would be most unhappy if I heard of them trashing a homemade pie. I think I might get them a dog toy for Christmas. Maybe they will get a hint that their dogs are as loud as my roosters if not louder.

I really don't get it when people get upset over a crowing rooster and yet there's nothing to do about neighbors who get drunk, loud, curse and blast music in the yard until after 10pm
hmm.png
Every weekend we have to stay inside with the TV on to drown them out. A lot of folks just see the speck in their brothers eye. I just keep being nice to them. At least they haven't complained about my roosters.

I wonder if some of the new folks can see the frame on this guy. Does he have a extended keel . will he have a flat top line when he grows up. Does he have a oblong type body. Does he have a dark enough beak color. Will he have black quill color? Will he have a nice beetle green tail when he grows up? All these are questions I ask myself he is just a baby.

Two nights ago I handled his uncle and said Hi to his sire who I raised for Matt for a few months. I was his foster father to give Matt some spare room last fall before I brought him back home to breed.

I did get four saddle feathers from his uncle and the quill color was as black as ace of spades that is the quill. Can they get any darker. NO Got to send these feather to a lady I am helping out in Calif.

Back off vaction. Blood Pressure 122/76 help me keep it that way. bob

Welcome back Bob, hope you had a nice vacation.

I tried giving them eggs but then my DH saw the eggs on the top of their trash the next day.

Dang, I would be offended for sure.

I gave eggs to people once at the holidays in a gift basket, their comment on the brown eggs, "nasty brown eggs", their comment on the homemade blackberry jam made from the wild blackberries I picked, "black s**t", from them, no comment on the loaf of homemade bread..........

My thought "don't hold your breath until your next gift"!

I wonder if some of the new folks can see the frame on this guy. Does he have a extended keel . will he have a flat top line when he grows up. Does he have a oblong type body. Does he have a dark enough beak color. Will he have black quill color? Will he have a nice beetle green tail when he grows up? All these are questions I ask myself he is just a baby.

Two nights ago I handled his uncle and said Hi to his sire who I raised for Matt for a few months. I was his foster father to give Matt some spare room last fall before I brought him back home to breed.

I did get four saddle feathers from his uncle and the quill color was as black as ace of spades that is the quill. Can they get any darker. NO Got to send these feather to a lady I am helping out in Calif.

Back off vaction. Blood Pressure 122/76 help me keep it that way. bob

Bob, since I am extremely new to SOP (still don't have a copy) maybe my question could be a good teaching point. I get the brick shape and flat top line. However, I've noticed in more of the old photos from years ago a little rise in the tail area and a little more 'curve' extending down the neckline into the 'flat topline'? As in this photo, the cockerel seems to be leaning in a forward position, maybe that is why there seems to be a ninety degree angle from neck to back? Is that look desirable? Is he leaning forward and is that causing it to look more like a ninety degree angle? I hope I'm describing my question well enough, you'll have to excuse my lack of familiarity with proper nomenclature. Thanks.

Bob, since I am extremely new to SOP (still don't have a copy) maybe my question could be a good teaching point. I get the brick shape and flat top line. However, I've noticed in more of the old photos from years ago a little rise in the tail area and a little more 'curve' extending down the neckline into the 'flat topline'? As in this photo, the cockerel seems to be leaning in a forward position, maybe that is why there seems to be a ninety degree angle from neck to back? Is that look desirable? Is he leaning forward and is that causing it to look more like a ninety degree angle? I hope I'm describing my question well enough, you'll have to excuse my lack of familiarity with proper nomenclature. Thanks.
Yup a big piece out of the neck for sure. Bob is the RIR go to guy, but I will add that many of the pictures you see have a low tail angle. The RIR male would have a 20 degree tail angle. Most pictures posted are not great pictures as it is very difficult to get good pics of a moving chicken. You are correct about the way the chicken is leaning and that should always be taken into account. Once they are out of a natural pose, they can look like something they are not.

Walt

Dang, I would be offended for sure.

I gave eggs to people once at the holidays in a gift basket, their comment on the brown eggs, "nasty brown eggs", their comment on the homemade blackberry jam made from the wild blackberries I picked, "black s**t", from them, no comment on the loaf of homemade bread..........

My thought "don't hold your breath until your next gift"!
My sister in law took some of those "nasty brown eggs" back to Texas on an airplane, went through security with TSA wanting to confiscate her beautiful brown eggs because they were brown eggs, she said they all smiled at those brown country eggs. So it shows you there are some people in this world knows a good thing when they see it. We were not sure they would let her go through with them.
yesss.gif

Yup a big piece out of the neck for sure. Bob is the RIR go to guy, but I will add that many of the pictures you see have a low tail angle. The RIR male would have a 20 degree tail angle. Most pictures posted are not great pictures as it is very difficult to get good pics of a moving chicken. You are correct about the way the chicken is leaning and that should always be taken into account. Once they are out of a natural pose, they can look like something they are not.

Walt
Yes I see this a lot on here too and other sites which seem to be a trend going on. I often wonder if it is to give the bird that longer overall look(exaggerates the length) either way i don't care for the straight backed tails. I think that a RIR cock with the rise in the tail looks like its supposed to. The breeders are trying to carry this over to the NH too. Too much tail(the tail don't make a NH or a RIR) they are to be stout bodied birds not all tail on either. Medium tail length is the Standard description.

Jeff

I do not to claim to know much about the way a RIR is suppose to look but in my 1905 SOP that male does not have so much of a straight back. Speaking of SOP I went to a chicken auction and got a 1976 Bantam SOP for $10. Good deal. I do not have any bantams maybe I will have to get some now!!!!

This happens in all breeds when the breeders don't notice that it is happening or it is intentionally overlooked because it is rewarded. I have breeder friends give me heads up when I am missing something. ...we all miss something because we are too close to the birds. I'm not keeping any fan tailed NH's of either sex.

w

Back
Top Bottom