The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

One cockerel going to Baton Rouge provide all my paperwork comes in!!

RR, thanks for teaching me a new word this morning!  Never heard the term lagniappe before!

That's as common as getting up in the morning where I grew up! As well as....

Making groceries
Nutural ground
Hose pipe

Lagniappe "extras" Whip cream on pan- cakes is lagniappe.

Lol,
Chris

I forgot ... Everything is "down the bayou"! Where can I get me some crawfish.... Just gotta go down the bayou a bit and you can get all you want!

Chris

OFF THREAD but just wanted to tell you all if there is anyone wanting a beautiful black and white kitty, I caught on in my trap last night. Another skunk to figure out how I'm going to get rid of. lol These guys sure can eat a lot of chicken feed. This makes 2 skunks, 2 groundhogs, 1 coon and 1 opossum that I've caught in the last 3 weeks. lol
Now back to the chicken talk. Sorry for the interruption.
Have a great weekend all.
Jim, at least you haven't said anything about a coyote sneaking up to the back of the barn in broad daylight to help himself to a hen but she saw him coming and took the whole flock back inside the pen, I had time to go get the gun but I know I didn't hit him. My barn cats told me something was back there. The gun goes with me from now on. Ok, back to chicken talk.

Bob, RIR history. Are there recommended books or sites for beginners?
There are no books or old Rhode Island Red Journals laying around to pluck. I was lucky to get my hands on the 1912 to 1944 issues from old breeders then got the Rhode Island Red Chronicles from 1944 to the present. I have gone to College Vet Libraries and read their issues on their shelf's. What you read is pure history of the breed, the pictures of the birds ect. It was not till the 1930s they got birds kind of like we have today. Some cheated by crossing brown leghorns onto their reds to improve egg production and that is how we got our other style of reds that thousands have today.

If I want to raise old fashion R I Reds like I posted the other day. I don't have to have lights to do this. I just wont get as many eggs with out lights stimulate their eyes. I want eggs in Jan and Feb that's all. Then when I get a camera out in the fall I got a picture worth placing on this tread. If I want I can go to a poultry show with Matt 1616 and show him. My females will mature and be ready for the next year.

My conditions that I have in my back acre is much like a homesteader, only difference is I have a long electric wire barred in the ground from my barn to the house if I ant to turn the timer on.

Don't have to Remember I have over 100 Mother Earth News magazines I look at now and then. I fish like they did in the 1940s. I am old scholl to a degree. My wife says you homestead with poultry pretty much except I don't mix my feed but buy it in a bag. I raise my chicks like the old guys did in the 1920s. God almighty I read over 50 poultry books from 1850s to 1940s so I pretty much do every thing like my grandfather does. I just have a different eye on the Red than some folks do. Most important thing are you happy with what you have? If your happy I am happy. If you want something different go for it.

I also, like black and white cats.

However, when it comes to breeding I have a great high scoring Red with brick shape extended keels, maybe yellow legs maybe not may be more horn colored. They lay like crazy and they have great feather quality over their backs as pullets and the males have a nice wide even width like a 2x8 board. What else could I ask for?

Now I am going to put together a list of data of Breeders who want to help our new friends out this Spring with eggs or chicks.

Who has Rose Combs to share?

Post if you do or send me a personnel message. I will start with this variety.

Then we will start on the Don Nelson Line? Who has them and will share them.

I will have a list done by Nov 1st. Lets get ready for the spring. bob

Have you paid your dues yet to the Rhode Island Red Club yet?

Great finish color brick shape look forward to seeing him.
This is a complete package I would be proud to own and breed from him.

Last edited:
Jim, at least you haven't said anything about a coyote sneaking up to the back of the barn in broad daylight to help himself to a hen but she saw him coming and took the whole flock back inside the pen, I had time to go get the gun but I know I didn't hit him. My barn cats told me something was back there. The gun goes with me from now on. Ok, back to chicken talk.
When I dumped the dead skunk out in the far woods yesterday morning I heard a neighbor cutting some wood with a chain saw so I went to chat with him a little. I was telling him how many critters I had caught ahd he told me that he heard the coyote's calling each other a few evenings ago. I have yet to ever see one but some folks have said they have seen them. The only bigger things I see are deer. They were here last night eating pears out of a bucket that I have sitting down by the coops that I throw into the chickens. The pears were almost all gone this morning. lol

Hey Bob, you know what I have but you don't really need to put me on the list unless you put me for winter/spring 2015. I have to many orders right now for the different bloodlines that I have. I REALLY have to work on building up my little flocks. Thanks though, that will be something good to have.

Back
Top Bottom