The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Oyster Shell - I have have maybe 20 pens right now. One never touches it, most have some usage but not a lot and then there is the one with my layer white leghorns and I have to give it to them at least once a week. I use a 1 pound coffee can so I know how much each pen is using. I find that certain breeds send to eat more than others too.
I have community areas. I have HRIR's, LH's, LB's and HDellies all in the same area. None really eat it. But as Long as there eggs are fine doesn't bother me. I use the $15 hog troughs from TSC for there food. On one side of the house I have Nutrena layer pellets and the other side I have 20% FF meatbird maker. I put 1 gallon of the different feed in each. Every morning it's all gone, so they are probably getting enough calcium from the layer feed.

It is with great sadness that I have to inform everyone that Robert (Bob) Blosl has passed away. Matt and I have both spoken with his wife Zora who is in total shock and completely devastated as the rest of us are. When I find out more information I will post it as this has just happened in the past couple of hours. I have become very close with Bob and he held a wealth of information and was more than willing to help anyone. He was the best cheerleader that the Rhode Island Reds EVER had. May he continue to cheer them on in Red Heaven.
Just got on this morning and I am so very sorry to hear this.....

Jimmy, Zora called me at 2:52 so Bob passed away literally minutes after he made that post. It has been strange to read that post knowing that he was talking to me. Bob told me many times that he was proud of me for what I have done with his line of Reds and like I said earlier I hope that I can continue to live up to that. I will continue to breed and show his line of Reds in his honor as long as I'm able.

Matt
Matt one could tell he really adored your work and he knew you have the gift to carry on forward with those ol Red chickens.

I remember a particular post sometime ago when Bob put a challenge out for us all, almost like a dare(LOL) He said: "if your going to win or do good at these shows you will have to go through Matt and Jo Ulrich to get there".
wink.png
I know you are going to miss him greatly(we all will) but just keep on keeping on(all of us) as he has posted for so many to do on here and elsewhere and his legacy will live on through our works and that will make him a proud soul too, he will be smiling down on us from above. This I'm sure of.

KISS

Jeff

Matt one could tell he really adored your work and he knew you have the gift to carry on forward with those ol Red chickens.

I remember a particular post sometime ago when Bob put a challenge out for us all, almost like a dare(LOL) He said: "if your going to win or do good at these shows you will have to go through Matt and Jo Ulrich to get there".
wink.png
I know you are going to miss him greatly(we all will) but just keep on keeping on(all of us) as he has posted for so many to do on here and elsewhere and his legacy will live on through our works and that will make him a proud soul too, he will be smiling down on us from above. This I'm sure of.

KISS

Jeff
Very true and a great post Jeff

Jimmy, Zora called me at 2:52 so Bob passed away literally minutes after he made that post. It has been strange to read that post knowing that he was talking to me. Bob told me many times that he was proud of me for what I have done with his line of Reds and like I said earlier I hope that I can continue to live up to that. I will continue to breed and show his line of Reds in his honor as long as I'm able.

Matt

I will be showing descendents of Bob's birds which are also descendents of your birds next weekend at the CFPBA show in Inverness, FL. I will be thinking of you all.

I'm at a loss for words, it's like this vast wealth of knowledge is gone but then again he has this big bunch of followers who will keep his legacy alive and hopefully we will be as good at it as he was, a big challenge for us all. May his family find peace in the coming days and weeks knowing that when he passed he was doing what he loved-------talking chickens. My regret will be not getting to meet him in the future.

I picked up some RC red bantams from somewhere 10 or 12 years ago and I swear Bob was more excited about them than I was..

When my wife saw the phone bill a month later She nearly moved my stuff out into the chicken house.. LOL We must of talked about red bantams and some of the great breeders like Paul Webb, Perrin Johnson, Ken Bowles and Gary Underwood every other day for a month or two..
Bob could light a fire in you like nobodies business!

I sure will miss talking chickens with Bob

I have a question,...She is as old as her hatch mates but bantam size. What would happen if I mated her with a bantam male?
I don't understand why you would want to propagate the dwarf genes? Do you consider them superior or desirable in some way over the LF genes?

I have all LF, Australorp, Orpington, RedSex Link, RIR and could not grasp some of the fancy small breeders logic. For some, seems they considered them pets or pretty "for show" but all of this seems to divert around the main issues of egg and meat production that pays for the feed and range. In that context dwarf/bantams would score very low, wouldn't they?

I don't understand why you would want to propagate the dwarf genes? Do you consider them superior or desirable in some way over the LF genes?

I have all LF, Australorp, Orpington, RedSex Link, RIR and could not grasp some of the fancy small breeders logic. For some, seems they considered them pets or pretty "for show" but all of this seems to divert around the main issues of egg and meat production that pays for the feed and range. In that context dwarf/bantams would score very low, wouldn't they?

the sex linked Dwarf gene is used extensively in the Broiler 4 Way lines... used on the dam line, the mother of terminal broiler(the one you can get your hands on) have the Sexlinked Dwarf gene on her, this lowers her size 20% but it will not decrease egg lyaing triats and you can have more of this dwaf hens in the same size you would house normal sized hens, and since its recessive the Terminal Males are not affected and have full size as their Termila Sire father, the Pullets dont inherit this recessive sex linked dwarf gene from their mother so they are larger and heavier than their mothers...

I was at one point trying to isolate and extract that gene...

Back
Top Bottom