The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Here is a little update on our show to be held at LSU next Saturday November 9th.

We have over 730 birds entered.
Just over 200 Lg Fowl.
Just over 20 Lg Fowl RIR's!
Just over 400 Bantams
Somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 RIR Bantams
Right at 100 Jr entries.
And something like 35 Water Fowl!

It's going to be a great first show for our club!!!! Hope to see and meet some of you there!

Chris

Last edited:
LOVE the pics in this thread. Thank you. I have a small flock of Heritage RIR's. 13 of them about 12 weeks now. They are by far not show birds lol. But I was going for the breed and the eggs. But I love em!! My Great Gramma had the nice dark read ones when I was a kid and I fell in love with em. They seem to have gotten darker over the years but maybe its just my childhood memory. Any way I have a few pics of my lil ones if you have the time to critique them. lol Just be kind knowing I already know they are not show birds. They are getting much darker but I don't know if they darken after first molt or?? Also. I plan to do some selective breeding with them so any thoughts on which hen might be best. There are a few I think might still develop into roos but the comb is so much smaller then the one I know is a roo im not sure. They were hatched Aug 8th so if you look at the date stamp you can see how old they are in the pics. Sorry they are not in date order. I don't know how to move them around in the post
thank you for your time!

At about 8 weeks

With their Bantam friends

Mr Rooster man AKA Mr Poopy butt. (had some pasty butt going on when we first got him

Mr Rooster man from above

She is much darker in person

The white he shows here is gone.

Those are production reds, as the dearly missed Mr. Blosl would say "there's millions of these raised in the US every year" and they'll be good egg layers. If someone sold them to you as "Heritage" Rhode Island Reds they misled you. Still will be a very productive flock and look happy and healthy.

Those are production reds, as the dearly missed Mr. Blosl would say "there's millions of these raised in the US every year" and they'll be good egg layers. If someone sold them to you as "Heritage" Rhode Island Reds they misled you. Still will be a very productive flock and look happy and healthy.
x2. If someone told you they are the real RIR, they either don't know or they lied to you. They are absolutely good layers and if you are wanting eggs they will supply your with plenty of them. Go to my site and you will find chicks the same age and look at the color.
Jim

One of my 2 HRIR., have laid her first egg today, and my! what a lovely surprise as to it's very dark colour, and size : ) I took the photos in two different light settings to do justice to this egg from my beautiful pullet. Her egg is next to two LF adult hen eggs. She is 7 mos. old, and no! I never count the days for my hens to start laying, for; my philosophy have always been:" they will lay eggs when they do". And, when the time comes, I look at each and every egg as a gift..

Lual

Back
Top Bottom