The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

One of my 2 HRIR., have laid her first egg today, and my! what a lovely surprise as to it's very dark colour, and size : ) I took the photos in two different light settings to do justice to this egg from my beautiful pullet. Her egg is next to two LF adult hen eggs. She is 7 mos. old, and no! I never count the days for my hens to start laying, for; my philosophy have always been:" they will lay eggs when they do". And, when the time comes, I look at each and every egg as a gift..

Lual

That is a very nice egg!

Look at the color on those legs too!

One of my 2 HRIR., have laid her first egg today, and my! what a lovely surprise as to it's very dark colour, and size : ) I took the photos in two different light settings to do justice to this egg from my beautiful pullet. Her egg is next to two LF adult hen eggs. She is 7 mos. old, and no! I never count the days for my hens to start laying, for; my philosophy have always been:" they will lay eggs when they do". And, when the time comes, I look at each and every egg as a gift..

Lual

Are you sure it could not be from another breed?
I have zero hens that lay an egg of that color, most lay a light colored egg. Also 7 months is pretty early for this line.

The pullets look very health. Good work

Ron

Last edited:
x2. If someone told you they are the real RIR, they either don't know or they lied to you. They are absolutely good layers and if you are wanting eggs they will supply your with plenty of them. Go to my site and you will find chicks the same age and look at the color.
Jim
Thank you. I kinda knew that but wanted to be sure. I am now in a search for chicks in the spring. The kind I wanted.

Thank you. I kinda knew that but wanted to be sure. I am now in a search for chicks in the spring. The kind I wanted.

See Luals pictures--Those are what you want. There are several on here that will get some of these old time Standard Bread Reds to you.

Lual and I hatched those beauties form Ron Fogel's Flock.

Last edited:
See Luals pictures--Those are what you want. There are several on here that will get some of these old time Standard Bread Reds to you.

Lual and I hatched those beauties form Ron Fogel's Flock.
YES!!! That is what I wanted and what I remember from my great grandmoms chickens!! Give me prices on chicks!! Im in Missouri and don't think it would be good to ship this time of year but im willing to pay in advance for spring! Don't get me wrong. I love the chickens I have now. But they are not what I wanted. hard to explain lol. In my inexperience in buying I was taken advantage of.

YES!!! That is what I wanted and what I remember from my great grandmoms chickens!! Give me prices on chicks!! Im in Missouri and don't think it would be good to ship this time of year but im willing to pay in advance for spring! Don't get me wrong. I love the chickens I have now. But they are not what I wanted. hard to explain lol. In my inexperience in buying I was taken advantage of.

Send a pm to @FOGELLY . He is much closer to you and does a great job packing and shipping.

Are you sure it could not be from another breed?
I have zero hens that lay an egg of that color, most lay a light colored egg. Also 7 months is pretty early for this line.

The pullets look very health. Good work

Ron

Hello Ron,

The main breeds of fowl I have are: Ko Shamo, Orpington, and NH. I have very small number of: OEGB, Ameraucana, CL., and RIR. The RIR., and the NH juveniles are in a separate yard of their own. Even though the NHs. are very large for their tender age, I believe they are far from egg laying age; but, than again, one never knows.. I was very surprised to find this beautiful egg when she moved away from the place she was sitting on, and decided to share the images of it.

I am glad that you are pleased with the appearance of the pullets.

Lual

Hello Aamanda,

I have noticed that you have deleted the photos of your well loved birds which you have posted. I understand the reasons, and am quite sorry that you were compelled to do so.

Your birds looked very loved, happy, well cared for, and living a nice life free ranging in a beautiful place.

It is always good to learn from the experts which you value the opinion of; and, do as many researches as you can, BUT, at the very end, follow your heart and share your life with the sentient beings which pleases you, and completes your life, and definitely not what someone else thinks, or believes.

Your bids which you have posted photos of may not be show quality, but, never the less they are lovely, innocent beings to enjoy, and enrich your life..

Lual

Hello Aamanda,

I have noticed that you have deleted the photos of your well loved birds which you have posted. I understand the reasons, and am quite sorry that you were compelled to do so.

Your birds looked very loved, happy, well cared for, and living a nice life free ranging in a beautiful place.

It is always good to learn from the experts which you value the opinion of; and, do as many researches as you can, BUT, at the very end, follow your heart and share your life with the sentient beings which pleases you, and completes your life, and definitely not what someone else thinks, or believes.

Your bids which you have posted photos of may not be show quality, but, never the less they are lovely, innocent beings to enjoy, and enrich your life..

Lual
Good post and I agree 100% with it. Not all folks want the same thing and that doesn't make you wrong nor does it mean that you don't have good birds. Gosh, look at how many people have the little old Heinz 57 dogs and they can make the best companion's for folks. If a person is wanting a little flock to keep them in eggs, it isn't always the purity of the breed that makes a good chicken. lol I have the pure lines but I still keep a few of the other breeds for selling eggs for eating.
Jim

Back
Top Bottom