The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I agree but unfortunately I don't have a "Bator" I have some Bantam for brooding next spring and right now I have some lil ducklings under the heat light. So no room for chicks. When end of winter/early spring comes around I will have the light box ready again for them. And when it gets nice out they will be ready to go out! When the ducks are done with the light im afraid it would be to cold by them to ship em
I would try for a mid February shipment of Chicks.

They only need to stay in the brooder until they are fully feathered. Horstmans Straight combed RIR (Kettle Line) are a bit slow to feather so that will be 6 to 7 weeks. They can take more cold then most think.

I agree but unfortunately I don't have a "Bator" I have some Bantam for brooding next spring and right now I have some lil ducklings under the heat light. So no room for chicks. When end of winter/early spring comes around I will have the light box ready again for them. And when it gets nice out they will be ready to go out! When the ducks are done with the light im afraid it would be to cold by them to ship em
I am so sorry, I didn't mean to say eggs, they were chicks lol All were fine. Again, so sorry.

Well so far the only breeder to get back in touch with me is Dick Horstman. I really like the pics of his birds and am working on setting up chick shipment in the spring. Any one have a month that is the best to start shipping? When is to early?
When Dick gets up an going is a good time. He knows when to ship what where. He has been at it for a good while now. I imagine you will be on a list so when it is your turn it will be good.

Jeff

I see you are in MO Ron Fogel(FOGELLY) is in Ar. around the Little Rock area he has good old timey reds too and this would be your better bet on environment and shipping of chicks is closer also.

Last edited:
I would try for a mid February shipment of Chicks.

They only need to stay in the brooder until they are fully feathered. Horstmans Straight combed RIR (Kettle Line) are a bit slow to feather so that will be 6 to 7 weeks. They can take more cold then most think.
Thank you so much for the advice!! That would put them ready to outside when the weather is getting real nice! The last back of chicks I got was in August so they only needed a light at night after about the first week. My main worry is them getting here without getting to cold. I know they are tougher than they look but they are so fragile looking!!

Well so far the only breeder to get back in touch with me is Dick Horstman. I really like the pics of his birds and am working on setting up chick shipment in the spring. Any one have a month that is the best to start shipping? When is to early?

Quote: So much of how they handle the weather depends on each PO they go through. I have ordered chicks in cold weather before but my next to last stop PO left them outside my pick up PO with a jacket tossed over the box. They did not do well not because of the cold but due to a lack of air flow.

When Dick gets up an going is a good time. He knows when to ship what where. He has been at it for a good while now. I imagine you will be on a list so when it is your turn it will be good.

Jeff

I see you are in MO Ron Fogel(FOGELLY) is in Ar. around the Little Rock area he has good old timey reds too and this would be your better bet on environment and shipping of chicks is closer also.
Ron was busy and just got back with me. I think I will be ordering eggs from him sometime next year. And I am getting 20 chicks from Dick in mid February!!!!! I cant wait!!! If they look anything like the ones on his site I will be in RIR heaven!

So much of how they handle the weather depends on each PO they go through. I have ordered chicks in cold weather before but my next to last stop PO left them outside my pick up PO with a jacket tossed over the box. They did not do well not because of the cold but due to a lack of air flow.
Looks like Mid Feb is when its gonna be!!! Im so excited!!!

Ron was busy and just got back with me. I think I will be ordering eggs from him sometime next year. And I am getting 20 chicks from Dick in mid February!!!!! I cant wait!!! If they look anything like the ones on his site I will be in RIR heaven!

Don't cross breed your Horseman birds with the birds your getting from Ron. Grow out your Horseman birds and breed your best male/ males to your best girl/ girls. Then do the same with the Reds from Ron. Just don't cross them up with each other.

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom