The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

The breeding pens pictured above. .. $225 total
lumber and plywood $100
4 sheets of metal roofing $50
wire $75

The vinyl adds to this but not necessary if you just staple up plastic or tarp

Greetings--

Don't mean to clog the airwaves here with an insanely newbie question, but could someone direct me on this site (or elsewhere) to where I could find a breeder in Michigan (Ann Arbor area) for Heritage RIRs? I have searched around quite a bit and don't seem to be getting very far. :)

We are looking for pullets for a backyard flock. I have heard and read many great things about HRIRs and we'd like to have this breed be the center of our flock.

Many thanks for your time--

Emily

Chris's pens were my inspiration...
Still need to finish the front and rear trap doors on the two end pens, but putting the clear vinyl on at 7am this morning was a higher priority... gonna be in the teens here tonight. I need to add hook and eye latches too - as you can tell from the logs holding them closed in front.
Right now they are simply housing two cockerels, but will be used for breeding pairs and trios over the winter.
The clear vinyl is attached with Velcro and rolls up and down depending on the weather.
The lower half on the back side is a hinged door that flips down for easy access to both feeding and egg gathering.
The plywood partitions on the lower interior half are removable to covert the entire thing to a grow out pen over the summer.

Nice!!!! I really need to start building a few more of these myself!

I love this pic...

It doesn't get to cold down here by me so I just rap 3 sides with plastic just to keep the wind and rain off the birds from Dec to Feb. Summer is really brutal down here that's why I like all me coops open! Each pen is 4x6 and I usually just put pairs in them but have done trios also. Instead of 3 pens you could make it 2 6x6 pens for a quad. I keep my roos in these pens when I'm not breeding and have a Large coop to keep all the girls in.

Chris

Greetings--

Don't mean to clog the airwaves here with an insanely newbie question, but could someone direct me on this site (or elsewhere) to where I could find a breeder in Michigan (Ann Arbor area) for Heritage RIRs? I have searched around quite a bit and don't seem to be getting very far. :)

We are looking for pullets for a backyard flock. I have heard and read many great things about HRIRs and we'd like to have this breed be the center of our flock.

Many thanks for your time--

Emily
Freds hens on here but you're gonna have to wait a spell till breeding season gets underway in about 3-4 months might want to get in on the short list early before it gets too long it fills fast on these guys for sure.

Jeffpo
post 6172 hes post #6172

Last edited:
Yes he did(BB) and Matt also at Baton Rouge he had a couple of(4) real good prizes with a RIR cockerel Champ/Amer.blue card, Champ/amer. yellow card, Res.champ LF blue,Champ LF yellow and a basket full of others with his other breeds too. 6 in blue card -5 in the yellow good day for him and his birds.

way to go Mr.Fox and Matt good representations for the breed

Jeff
Jeff, do you have Bill Fox and Bill Post mixed up??????

Jeff, do you have Bill Fox and Bill Post mixed up??????
Maybe I do too!!
big_smile.png
Screwing things up comes easy to me.

ETA: Yup, I screwed that up. It apparently was Bill Fox.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom