The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

It almost looks like a small fridge.
I should have looked closer at the show in Lebanon, IN. I did not see any of those sitting around. Is the white material just painted wood or plastic? I'm thinking it can't be the foam board that the white boxes for Etsy pictures are made of. I would be a while before I attempted to make on as I am still working on the coop and additional run. But it looks like a fun project and it would help with my pictures.
This one is made of wood and painted white. I need to repaint the inside light blue but I'll do that another day. We made this for the show in Baton Rouge and I did make it big but I wanted to be able to put geese in there. It's 3 x 3 x 3 and has 3 florescent lights on the inside. I also made a base for it that lifts it up a good 3.5 feet off the ground so your not bending over trying to take pics.

Chris

Quote:
This one is made of wood and painted white. I need to repaint the inside light blue but I'll do that another day. We made this for the show in Baton Rouge and I did make it big but I wanted to be able to put geese in there. It's 3 x 3 x 3 and has 3 florescent lights on the inside. I also made a base for it that lifts it up a good 3.5 feet off the ground so your not bending over trying to take pics.

Chris
When you re-paint light blue, will it be a flat, or semi-gloss; and does the light blue help with glare, or just so pictures of white fowl have something to contrast with? This is so interesting...
-AG

My first egg from Ron's birds. Are they all going to be this large? If so I'm very very impressed. If not at least one of my chickens is laying. After a dry spell from me selling the production hens that I did not like, I am looking forward to eggs.

My first egg from Ron's birds. Are they all going to be this large? If so I'm very very impressed. If not at least one of my chickens is laying. After a dry spell from me selling the production hens that I did not like, I am looking forward to eggs.
Congratulations!

The first egg can often be big. The egg size will be large to extra large for them. I hatched my Fogel Reds from hatching eggs and they were a nice size.

I'd bet that the Canadian Geese were flying over and dropped that in your coop. Ha, ha, ha. Enjoy them. I can't say anything because that is one of the few that I don't have. lol
Jim

Maybe a stork stopped by. The hen was in the covered area and I saw her in the nest so I even know which one started laying first. And it was the one with the larger comb, just like Ron posted.
Yep, that is how it usually goes. I have 2 of my young Nelson girls that started a week ago and I don't think that I ever heard hens singing any more then these two do. I can alway tell when to look for their eggs, they have such a happy song almost the whole day. They sure are happy little girls. And the cockerel stays right beside her until she is done. Some of these critters sure are something. Humans could learn a lot on how to be parents from some of them.
Jim

Yep, that is how it usually goes. I have 2 of my young Nelson girls that started a week ago and I don't think that I ever heard hens singing any more then these two do. I can alway tell when to look for their eggs, they have such a happy song almost the whole day. They sure are happy little girls. And the cockerel stays right beside her until she is done. Some of these critters sure are something. Humans could learn a lot on how to be parents from some of them.
Jim

Hey, Jim. How old were those Nelson pullets when they started?

Not the greatest of pics but wanted to show my roo. I got him a few months ago from a lady who had all RIR's for eggs and didn't want the roosters, so I thought i would take him for hawk watch over my 8 girls. I don't know if he's production or anything, but he has gotten very large and is the most friendliest roo. That's his name- Lil Roo, cuz my hens were bigger than him when i got him. I just love him, he's just starting to crow also, sounds so cute.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom