The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Sally,
These are just my thoughts and what I might do. I am sure others will have different thoughts.

I have my 3 RIR hens in my smaller coop with 1 of my RIR roosters making the small coop my breeding area. My questions:

How important is it to know which hen laid which egg?

It all depends on if you are wanting to stud mate your line or pen mate. If you are using more than one rooster (pen) just keep track of your chicks with a toe punch. (It looks like you want to pen mate) Use a different punch for each male.

If you are using only one male, I would collect a week of eggs to see if the eggs are different in size, shape, color, etc. Most hens will lay a little different egg from each other. If you notice this you can pull a hen out for one or two eggs and then mark them accordingly.

Also once in the breeding pen how long does it take for the hens to get used to the area and continue to lay eggs?

Some hens are not bothered by moving. My Barred Rocks were moved a month ago and they are just now starting to lay but my Columbian Wyandottes just kept laying.

Should I remove the rooster for a day every so many days, something like 2 days a week the roo gets pulled from breeding?

In really small pens I feel the male needs to be removed in order to keep the hens laying and in fairly good feather. My birds, if I leave my male in with 3 hens he often runs them ragged and they slow down their laying because they spend most of the day on the roost trying to stay away from the male. I always start my male by putting him in with them for 10 days. After that I alternate every other day or I will pull him in the late PM after they go to roost return him in the late afternoon once I know they have laid their eggs. Lots of moving him but sure helps the females and makes him even more gentle because you have held him a lot.

Will switching out the rooster cause a stop in laying?

I have not noticed any changes if I move a new male in. Remember that you can save eggs from the first male for 3-4 days and then do not collect for 7 days for a total of a 10-14 day total. Some people say you need to wait longer it is all a personal preference (my opinion). By putting the male in shortly after you pull the other male you can keep a closer hatch between the different males.

My plan is to put each of my roosters 1 month at a time in the breeding area with the 3 hens. I was thinking of having a 7 day period with no roosters with the last few days of the no rooster week's eggs being eating eggs to check for any remaining fertility before introducing the next rooster.

Your plan should work well I would think.

The eggs I'm hoping to set are still pullet eggs, I was just hoping to get back into the incubation by joining the new year's hatch along. I'm also hoping to get some chicks going before March and April suddenly show up.

Some people say it is OK to use pullet eggs. If I do use pullet eggs they have been laying for at least 6-8 weeks. I prefer to wait until they have laid for 3 months but sometimes you just have to get started. In one of my breeds I only have 2 females and 4 males and I am afraid if I wait to long something will happen to one of the females so I will be starting this month after only 4 weeks of laying.

Hope this gives you some ideas as to what you can do.

Rob

Thank you Rob.

I have been watching the eggs. So far my hens are alternating the days they are laying on so that I can kind of tell which one laid which egg. But of course I'm not 100% sure as I don't have a good setup for trap nesting. I thought I had enough breeding pens but now my pens just look so small compared to the RIR. I think I could use them, but only with pairs. I know putting my young roosters in with only 1 hen would be a bad plan for now. The hen would just not be up to it.

No eggs since I have moved them into the breeding area but I did see my girl's favorite one in a nesting box today after lunch so maybe a late egg. I was hoping for an egg today to check for fertility before starting to save the eggs for the new yr hatch.

Sally,

Like you I am not set up to trap nest. I do have some show cages and often will put a hen in there for a 2-4 days so I can see which hen is laying what egg and to see if they are consistent in size, shape, color, etc. If you had three small pens you could rotate a male from one pen to the other. doing that system I would put all three in a pen with the male for a good 10 days, collecting eggs somewhere along in that time and then pull the hens and start the rotation of the male from pen to pen. This would set you up with a good trap nesting but also with stud mating. then when you went to another male put them together for same amount of time and do the same thing. It is just a thought for you to think about.

Rob

Sally,

Like you I am not set up to trap nest. I do have some show cages and often will put a hen in there for a 2-4 days so I can see which hen is laying what egg and to see if they are consistent in size, shape, color, etc. If you had three small pens you could rotate a male from one pen to the other. doing that system I would put all three in a pen with the male for a good 10 days, collecting eggs somewhere along in that time and then pull the hens and start the rotation of the male from pen to pen. This would set you up with a good trap nesting but also with stud mating. then when you went to another male put them together for same amount of time and do the same thing. It is just a thought for you to think about.

Rob

I will think some more on that. I would need to find a pen for my 2 non mating roosters. Right now they sleep together in one of the 4*8 pens but I catch them each morning and put them out to range. The only two that are truly free ranging. Everyone else layers and breeders are under a net of some sort but on grass too. They have cover though from the flying predictors, our biggest concern. At night I catch one and my husband catches the other. I have to say these are the only roosters I have been able to catch totally by myself when they are free ranging. They will come right to me for treats during the day too.

We're in Texas near the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
smile.png

Thank you!
smile.png
Lurking only takes you so far so thought I would jump on board.

Tried calling in September but there wasn't an answer. I left a message but didn't hear back. I tried again a couple of days ago with the same results. Figured he had gotten out or already had enough orders in. Perhaps he's working on his pens?

Thanks for the leads! We're excited to get our flock up and going.
There should be a closer source in Texas(Aaron Hickson could answer this one)than PA but now would be a good time to contact Mr. Horstman. Sept is about limbo land for inquiring for hatching eggs or chicks from most breeder/suppliers. He should be up and going in full song around Feb thru late May this coming season.

Jeff

I've asked this question to Ron, but would like every opinion. When you first put the cockerel or say rooster in the breeding pens with your hens, how long should you wait before gathering eggs to hatch? Or should I say, how long before the eggs are fertile?

I've asked this question to Ron, but would like every opinion. When you first put the cockerel or say rooster in the breeding pens with your hens, how long should you wait before gathering eggs to hatch? Or should I say, how long before the eggs are fertile?
Another twist on this question would be, if you pulled the hen from your flock, how long would it be before the effects of the prior matings have been diluted to the point that the pen mating would take effect/dominate. I have heard before about one week?

Another twist on this question would be, if you pulled the hen from your flock, how long would it be before the effects of the prior matings have been diluted to the point that the pen mating would take effect/dominate. I have heard before about one week?

I would say one week from what i have read. The new roo semen should be able to out power anything that is left. Dr. Bramwell at U of A says three days i think. I went off this last year and had mixed birds.

Back
Top Bottom