The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

If it was me I'd order me a live shipping box from horizon and send it to the supplier or ask them to do it and charge you for it and send them the way it was posted here and on the heritage thread back last year when Tom Roebuck sent those rare Buff rock eggs all the way from Va. to Az. to Cindy Novick. Those express, prepaid priority mail boxes is not the way I want mine shipped(have once didn't work out so well an these were expensive rare eggs too) never again, me! It doesn't matter what is written on those type(pictured above) of shipping containers most of that type mail goes through automated system and hardly ever sees a human hand much less any human eyes esp at a point where it would matter most. The live crates they actually try to handle them better and will convey them in a more suitable manner. J/s and my three cents worth.

Jeff

Well, I got my Eggs today. The Post Office was kind to me on my Rhodebar shipment but not my HRIR box. I Bought 10 HRIR eggs, seller sent 12, 5 survived the trip.

Mangled Box.

Broken eggs :(

The 5 survivors.

Now I hope they weren't scrambled too much in shipping. Crossing my fingers that at least a breeding pair hatches.
I guess this stuff really upsets me. I'm not going to be as nice as most. I have shipped eggs to quite a lot of different states over the past couple of years and received them also and to this day I've never had a cracked or broken egg either way. People need to do a better job at packing their eggs. It always cost me a couple bucks more then I charge for the shipping but I don't care. I'd rather have a happy customer. I can't control the shaking that may mess up the air sacks etc but for the packing, if we use enough packing peanuts and bubble wrap I can't see the eggs breaking.
Just my thoughts on this. If I sent eggs that got all broken up, I would gladly have sent a new batch of eggs and I would have paid the shipping for the make up eggs.

Hey Jimmy, thought I'd give you a visual update on the Nelson chicks. They're surviving this bitter cold wave OK. Not the most joyful or active, preferring to hunker and be a bit grumpy, but it's not been above 11 degrees in three days now.

Here's the older pullet I showed the other day. I think she bonked her nose flying down from the rafters.

Fred,
So sorry for being late at answering this post but I hadn't been on here for a couple of days. I think the cold weather is effecting my notifications. Still haven't gotten an email notification from BYC for 2 days. lol
The younguns are all looking pretty good there my friend. I sure do wish you the best of luck with them. I see where the bottom girl was a little nosey. ha,ha.
Jimmy

Here is the same pullet the day before the show at home.The pic taken at the show she is crowded in the pen.....her tail feathers where sticking through the wire
Steven, that is one good looking girl. I knew that was the problem on the other picture. I didn't think you would put a pullet in a show if the top line was that much off. lol Good job buddy.

Doc, I don't know if there are any color pictures of this diagram out there or not. I'll try and find you something though.
Jim

Doc, I don't know if there are any color pictures of this diagram out there or not. I'll try and find you something though.
Jim
Jim,
I want to get some pictures/photos of the real thing! I have never seen one on here that I could make out exactly what the "perfect" look would be. I know that it is a good indicator of the color balance in the Hen. Too much black or streaking in the hen hackle will pepper some of the other feathers. Too little or no green ticking will make loss of some of the half black flight feathers in the wing. Once we get too much black, domination of black color, it is very hard to breed out. Perfect ticking in the hackle that looks like a little green necklace is just what we are looking for. That is why I would like to see a picture of perfection of the ticking.

On the picture above: Hen on the lower right has a green ticking necklace but it is hard to see. I would like to see a better close up.

I can almost see the ticking necklace on Jim's hen/pullet. Great bird with so much dark, amazing deep dark color, nice wide and flat back.

Not to be greedy but I would also like to see what the perfect comb and head would look like but in a picture/photo.

Does this guy have a perfect head with points? Looks good to me. I would call it a 5 point.

I like this guys comb and head. Would a judge call this good or great as far as the head goes? Is it a 5 point or 6 point if we count the back one? His head is in good balance with his body.

To me, in this picture/painting their heads look too small in the pictures. Although their combs look to have the correct features.

Good RIR wing picture!

Anyone out there have some more good ones?

Thanks,
Dan

Dan,
This picture is a little blurred ( she moved her head just as I took the picture) but I think you can see the little necklace that they talk about on her lower hackle feathers. The rest of her head and hackle is just the red. This picture was from last year.

I feel for you! I had 180 eggs shipped in from Kansas. Upon arrival I had scrambled eggs wrapped in the box with two garbage bags around them to keep the mess from going all over. I was lucky enough to find 60 of them that were still intact. Washed them and got all the yoke off of them and was able to get a few to hatch. No reason for eggs to ever arrive like that especially when we take such effort in making them "HANDLE WITH CARE", "FRAGILE", "Live Embryos" etc. all in bright red colored inked. Seems like someone along the way enjoys doing the damage. My postal lady was almost in tears and afraid to give them to me. She checked in with me at least 3 times to see if there were any survivors. To bad they did not get her kind of care all the way here.

Rob

Dan,
This picture is a little blurred ( she moved her head just as I took the picture) but I think you can see the little necklace that they talk about on her lower hackle feathers. The rest of her head and hackle is just the red. This picture was from last year.

That is what I am looking for! Is hers correct for the SOP? What I mean is; Are the green portions of ticking at the end of the feather correct size, Is this what we are going for?
Thanks!

That is what I am looking for! Is hers correct for the SOP? What I mean is; Are the green portions of ticking at the end of the feather correct size, Is this what we are going for?
Thanks!
I can't say for sure because so many interpret things in so many different ways but if all my birds were marked like this I think I would be well satisfied. lol Wishing you the best of luck with all your searches. 'Jim

I feel for you! I had 180 eggs shipped in from Kansas. Upon arrival I had scrambled eggs wrapped in the box with two garbage bags around them to keep the mess from going all over. I was lucky enough to find 60 of them that were still intact. Washed them and got all the yoke off of them and was able to get a few to hatch. No reason for eggs to ever arrive like that especially when we take such effort in making them "HANDLE WITH CARE", "FRAGILE", "Live Embryos" etc. all in bright red colored inked. Seems like someone along the way enjoys doing the damage. My postal lady was almost in tears and afraid to give them to me. She checked in with me at least 3 times to see if there were any survivors. To bad they did not get her kind of care all the way here.

Rob
The eggs have to be packed well enough to take a 6 foot drop into a bin and then have boxes drop onto it.

Check the link in my Signature line to the Great Egg Shipping Experiment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom