The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

In a previous life I did advertising photography in NYC. Also taught a few college Photography courses. A couple of observations: first you're doing the right thing by bracketing your exposures. Sunsets [and sunrises] are difficult lighting situations & you'd rarely get one right with a single exposure.
Most camera metering &/or auto exposure systems measue light intensity at the center of the frame. In all the shots you provided the brightest part of the image is directly in the center so the darker parts of the frame are necessarily under exposed.
Since it's the sunset you're trying to capture there's a couple of things you can try. Lift the camera so that you aren't including so much of the dark ground-with such an extreme lighting contrast all that will ever be is a black void & it's really the sunset you're after anyway. Also, try not putting the brightest spot in the center of the frame. Since most metering systems a center weighted try focusing on a medium-lit portion of the frame. It will create a more dynamic image & perhaps one that shows a better colour balance.
Good info Bill
Thanks

Okay Ron,
Those should be super layers. They are the Kittle birds and info on my page about them. They have come a long way in the past few years. I still have just 3 or 4 of them from a few years ago and they are still laying.
Jim
Thank You!

It is a very pretty egg and they are very calm and nice pullets.

Thank You!

It is a very pretty egg and they are very calm and nice pullets.
Yes mine are cool as cucumbers too and lay very well.They started out laying a fairly large size egg esp for pullets an I liked that. I like these Horstman SC RIRs, filled my bill when I got them. I will one day get me a passel of those Reese/Mohawks just for kicks and giggles mostly and just because,
wink.png

Jeff

The RIR hens are back to laying double yolkers. Their protein levels are down to 15% and I had gotten a few single yolks from each hen. Just when I started trying to collect some to set, they went back to two yolks. Any other things I can do while keeping their protein lower?
These double yolkers are huge too and the hens sure do get uncomfortable laying them. I had two different hens that were louder than the roosters today.

Back
Top Bottom