The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Great pictures of the new chicks. Who grows faster?
Thanks for your comment Dan, you know I always like hearing from you.

As for the overall group, I don't see much difference in them. Once they hit a week it seems that they all really start shooting up. lol You may have a couple in each hatch that seem to mature out a little quicker then others but on the overall of the lines that I have, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the growing. Now as for maturing, The Nelson and Underwood are about the same, the Reese/Mohawk are a little slower. Egg laying, Nelson and Underwood are about the same, Reese about 4 - 5 months behind but when they start, they really do lay. Now remember, I'm talking about my birds. I've had some of the Mohawks before that didn't lay for squat. lol With all this said I have to say that I have one right now that is almost 6 weeks old and OH MY GOSH, what a looker. I can't wait to see him at 6 - 7 months. I must find a special place to keep him. He is from my Reese/Mohawk's from Matt. I just look at him in awe. lol

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for your comment Dan, you know I always like hearing from you.

As for the overall group, I don't see much difference in them. Once they hit a week it seems that they all really start shooting up. lol You may have a couple in each hatch that seem to mature out a little quicker then others but on the overall of the lines that I have, I don't see a whole lot of difference in the growing. Now as for maturing, The Nelson and Underwood are about the same, the Reese/Mohawk are a little slower. Egg laying, Nelson and Underwood are about the same, Reese about 4 - 5 months behind but when they start, they really do lay. Now remember, I'm talking about my birds. I've had some of the Mohawks before that didn't lay for squat. lol With all this said I have to say that I have one right now that is almost 6 weeks old and OH MY GOSH, what a looker. I can't wait to see him at 6 - 7 months. I must find a special place to keep him. He is from my Reese/Mohawk's from Matt. I just look at him in awe. lol

Jim
Keep good pictures of him so you can see how he develops. I would like to see him too.

Last edited:
Here is one of Bigby Nelsons back.

Upper view of Bigby Nelson calling the girls to something and pointing:

Here is one of Bigby Nelsons back.

Upper view of Bigby Nelson calling the girls to something and pointing:
A lot better picture of him here. Thanks for sharing. lol I have to say they this boy, the one that Fred posted and the one that I used this year as my breeder are all three nicer then the males I had to start out with.

Last edited:
Keep good pictures of him so you can see how he develops. I would like to see him too.
Will hopefully get some pic's in a few days of him. I've got to much going on right now. Ready to climb a tree and scream but my luck I'd fall out of the tree and then I'd really scream. My old mom used to say, better days ahead. I hope they aren't to far off.
Jim

Nanny> smooths the path and Jims ruffled feathers down to size for him. And prays God handle the rest.

9 Nelson eggs being held/turned for Fred on our Thursday meet up. He will bring my 4 Kittles that hatched. I'll be taking about 8 or few more Kittle eggs to him too but only ones I caught as they left the nest box.

The rest went in the eating eggs because I wasn't sure which were which (rock, kittle, light brahma). Unconfirmed didn't get saved. Neighbor bought dozen and half which leaves me just a few to eat myself. ;) Don't want to tie up valuable incubator space with gambles or oooppppss. :fl

Well yes partner but didn't want to tie up valuable space for ones I wasn't sure who laid them. Got to work down stuff in the freezer now to make room for all the culls of the heritage group. There will enough chicken from those I think for fryers and I don't want JUST chicken in the freezer! :lol:

Well that Kittle the stud tried to 'decrown of her comb" got the Blukote sprayed on the next morning once bleeding stopped and back into group once dried. Haven't SEEN him on top of her since but it may be happening. She is perky and alert again.

Now what dimensions should the separate chick quarters be for the 4 coming home Thursday? And height?

Yes Matt my avatar IS my cockerel crowing at me. Body is all stretched out thin.

Back
Top Bottom