The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I know others that leave their humidity around 50% during incubating and hatching. I don't know what your percentage of your hatching eggs is. When I left my humidity around 50% my hatches were 60%. Since I pay more attention to it my hatch rate has increased substantially. Just my opinion. Looking forward to seeing you at Lake City hopefully. :)

I sold 4 of my heritage rir pullets today. The buyer actually tried to tell me they were not rhode island reds as they were darker and larger than what he had a few years ago. Funny how the hatchery version has become so popular and well known.

Going to a show on Saturday. First show for the season. Taking some pairs of hens and cockerels to sell. Keeping all of the pullets. Also taking some cockerels to sell too.. Have both Rose Comb and Single Comb RIR and RC RIW's.
I entered a SC RIR pullet, RC RIR cockerel and pullet and a RC RIW pullet. Sadly they weren't my original choice but with the molt going on I am taking plan B's. I don't expect anything great but my RC RIW pullet looks very good. I hope she does well. Everyone got a bath today. At least they will smell good. lol. Got most everything together today but have to get my sale birds together tomorrow and take everyone to the fairgrounds where the show is.

I sold 4 of my heritage rir pullets today. The buyer actually tried to tell me they were not rhode island reds as they were darker and larger than what he had a few years ago. Funny how the hatchery version has become so popular and well known.

Did you convince him they were the real deal? I have people come over because I sell eggs and some want to buy birds but they don't want to pay much. I had a fellow come over recently who was sent over by a person I know and wanted 15 females. I told him I wanted $35.00 each for them and he said "well how about 10" but didn't want to pay even half of that so I told him I wasn't selling any. He kept asking about the breed and I told him they were RIR's. He kept say they were too dark so they had to be a different breed. I think he still believes they aren't RIR's.

I purchased the incubator and hatcher as one unit.. I'm trying to keep it 35% during incubation then going move to 50- 60 during lock down... Did not realize you were going to a show this soon...I hope you still have a few birds to sell in January at the Lake City show..thanks for your help

Quote: I think he still had some doubt. I told him to call up his local 4H extension and see if he could borrow the chicken breed standard book. I don't have one yet as I just keep checking out the 4H older copy when no one else wants it. Although I haven't had it in a while as we skipped meetings this summer when the AI was coming through.

Going to a show on Saturday. First show for the season. Taking some pairs of hens and cockerels to sell. Keeping all of the pullets. Also taking some cockerels to sell too.. Have both Rose Comb and Single Comb RIR and RC RIW's.
I entered a SC RIR pullet, RC RIR cockerel and pullet and a RC RIW pullet. Sadly they weren't my original choice but with the molt going on I am taking plan B's. I don't expect anything great but my RC RIW pullet looks very good. I hope she does well. Everyone got a bath today. At least they will smell good. lol. Got most everything together today but have to get my sale birds together tomorrow and take everyone to the fairgrounds where the show is.
keep us posted as how things trun out at the show!!

I did pretty well at the show. My birds got Best of and Reserve. No champions this go around. Most of my birds are in molt, some heavy and some light. It's hard to find any that aren't molting in some stage. I'm still happy as I did better than I thought I would.

Quote: I think he still had some doubt. I told him to call up his local 4H extension and see if he could borrow the chicken breed standard book. I don't have one yet as I just keep checking out the 4H older copy when no one else wants it. Although I haven't had it in a while as we skipped meetings this summer when the AI was coming through.
We had a poultry show yesterday and the same fellow showed up. After he came to my house that one day, he showed up at a swap I was at that following Saturday and again was trying to buy birds from me for practically nothing and again I told him NO. At the show he did ignore me but I did get kind of rude with him on the other occasions.

Back
Top Bottom