The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I am new to this site. Two of the chicken breeds I wanted to search were my adopted Delaware Rooster and my old time favorite Rhode Island Reds. I was reading through all the postings under Heritage Rhode Island Reds when I came across this very sad post. Clearly Mr. Robert loved his breed and was so willing to educate others. I hope to one day see these magnificant chickens with their brick size and deep colors and beautiful red eyes. My sympathies to all of you that lost your friend and I hope his work does carry on and all of your work. I have never seen a Rhode Island Red like these. I will keep reading and learning and hopefully because of people on here just like Mr. Robert I can pass some of this knowledge on to my two grown sons and one day my grandson's. My sympathies-late as they may be. Belle Sparks nd
It is with great sadness that I have to inform everyone that Robert (Bob) Blosl has passed away.  Matt and I have both spoken with his wife Zora who is in total shock and completely devastated as the rest of us are. When I find out more information I will post it as this has just happened in the past couple of hours. I have become very close with Bob and he held a wealth of information and was more than willing to help anyone. He was the best cheerleader that the Rhode Island Reds EVER had. May he continue to cheer them on in Red Heaven.

Last edited:
I am new to this site. Two of the chicken breeds I wanted to search were my adopted Delaware Rooster and my old time favorite Rhode Island Reds. I was reading through all the postings under Heritage Rhode Island Reds when I came across this very sad post. Clearly Mr. Robert loved his breed and was so willing to educate others. I hope to one day see these magnificant chickens with their brick size and deep colors and beautiful red eyes. My sympathies to all of you that lost your friend and I hope his work does carry on and all of your work. I have never seen a Rhode Island Red like these. I will keep reading and learning and hopefully because of people on here just like Mr. Robert I can pass some of this knowledge on to my two grown sons and one day my grandson's. My sympathies-late as they may be. Belle Sparks nd
Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Bob was also from Alabama.

I have - - Pure Rhode Island Red eggs (Reese/Mohawk Line) and Rose Comb Rhode Island White eggs. These will be available for a couple of more months. When the heat gets here the fertility tends to drop off. I have been hatching and getting around 90% plus on my hatches which I'm sure may go down with shipping due to several factors,

THESE FACTORS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
-EXTREME TEMPERATURE CHANGES.
-ROUGH HANDLING OF THE PACKAGE DURING SHIPPING.
-X-RAYING THE PACKAGE BY THE POSTAL SERVICE.
-THE DISTANCE THE EGGS HAVE TO TRAVEL.
-THE INCUBATION PROCESS.

Although hatching eggs are assumed fertile, be aware that NO hatching eggs are guaranteed to hatch. There is a reasonable expectation for your eggs to arrive intact; not broken or cracked, and that they are actually fertile or at least EXTREMELY likely to be fertile. http://www.hilltop-farm.info/store

A few pictures.

Last edited:
I have - - Pure Rhode Island Red eggs (Reese/Mohawk Line) and Rose Comb Rhode Island White eggs. These will be available for a couple of more months. When the heat gets here the fertility tends to drop off. I have been hatching and getting around 90% plus on my hatches which I'm sure may go down with shipping due to several factors,

THESE FACTORS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
-EXTREME TEMPERATURE CHANGES.
-ROUGH HANDLING OF THE PACKAGE DURING SHIPPING.
-X-RAYING THE PACKAGE BY THE POSTAL SERVICE.
-THE DISTANCE THE EGGS HAVE TO TRAVEL.
-THE INCUBATION PROCESS.

Although hatching eggs are assumed fertile, be aware that NO hatching eggs are guaranteed to hatch. There is a reasonable expectation for your eggs to arrive intact; not broken or cracked, and that they are actually fertile or at least EXTREMELY likely to be fertile. http://www.hilltop-farm.info/store
Your eggs are extremely fertile. Out of the 30 eggs, I had two infertile (clear) eggs. Not sure if it makes any difference, but both were from set #5. The other 28 started development, but I'm positive most (if not all) of the early quitters were due to rough handling by USPS. Looking forward to lockdown on Sunday!!!

After the show, ask the judge to give you feedback on your bird. Then, go to the person who wins BB, and have that person come give you feedback, take the bird out and have the winner actually handle your bird as well.

Folks on the scene will give you much better feedback than we can ever, ever do from the internet.

That said, her tail is how many degrees above horizontal would you say? What does your standard say is the proper tail angle on the female? Surely, your copy of the standard is there at the show with you, right?
wink.png

Any opinions of her? I have at a show right now and am curious how she will do.
I'm with Fred... the first thing that literally jumped from my monitor was the tail angle. Not only is it 45(+) degrees, it also very long... and red to the tip. I see what looks like buff coloring under the wing and on the breast. She may just be peering at something, but her neck looks long and slender. While she has good mahogany color, I can't help but feel she's got some production red running through her veins. I'm certainly not a judge, and pictures don't tell the whole story... so take my nonobjective view with a grain of salt. I'm just writing what I am seeing.

@Fred's Hens if you don't already know, you can right click on the pics in a post and choose open in a new tab or window. This allows you to see the picture full-size, and even left clicking on the pic to zoom in.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom