The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Yes, well, even if there are not published scientific results regarding frontline use in poultry and egg consumption withdrawal periods, show people have been using frontline for years and have been able to establish some guidelines in use of frontline and determine what is safe. 

Frontline has only been available just over 20 years. There have been many substances in history that were thought to not cause harm, but it took time to realize they do. Also, published scientific results don't always tell an accurate story either. I once heard someone say he could design an experiment to show anything he wanted. I also know several articles that are published that almost were not published due to a company not liking the results and threatening lawsuits. Also, just because someone does something does not mean it is safe. I have also seen people tell others they do a particular thing to mislead people. Be careful.

Hey All, am getting some SC RIR eggs from Dick Horstman at the end of the month. Anyone here care to share pics of any stock gotten from Dick?
Thanks, Steve
I know dick horstman stock
it is very workable. I do believe they're a mixture of wilferd kitttle and some others. should be very good produces of eggs.

Now taking orders on RC rhode island red chicks. Very limited number available. First come first serve. $7 per chick plus shipping. PM for more details.

New to this forum, but I wanted to post dome pics of my RIR hatch that too place 2 days ago. These chicks are in the brooder and doing well. I hope I didn't post too many pictures, These little guys and gals are so cute. I could not help myself. I hatched 13 out of 22 shipped eggs and all but 4 had detached air cells. This hatch was a huge learning experience, I have never dealt with so many eggs with so badly of detached airc ells. I am happy with the results, they are healthy and having fun. I think tomorrow ill introduce the wood chips. They are feeding out of the feeder. Its amazing how fast they can learn stuff.

This thread is amazing. I am on page 120 and wow. So much information, I feel late to the RIR party, better late than never I guess. :)

New to this forum, but I wanted to post dome pics of my RIR hatch that too place 2 days ago. These chicks are in the brooder and doing well. I hope I didn't post too many pictures, These little guys and gals are so cute. I could not help myself. I hatched 13 out of 22 shipped eggs and all but 4 had detached air cells. This hatch was a huge learning experience, I have never dealt with so many eggs with so badly of detached airc ells. I am happy with the results, they are healthy and having fun. I think tomorrow ill introduce the wood chips. They are feeding out of the feeder. Its amazing how fast they can learn stuff.

This thread is amazing. I am on page 120 and wow. So much information, I feel late to the RIR party, better late than never I guess. :)

Congratulations! Anything above 50% hatch rate with shipped eggs is a success. They're beautiful birds when grown, but to me, they are at their most adorable stage when they are this age. They start out beautiful, turn ugly, then become beautiful again. It's better to be late to the party than to miss it... lol!

Don't worry about the paper towels being slippery. They work just fine. If any should get splayed legs, there's plenty of info in the forum on how to treat it. I use large absorbent pads since they cover a large area and make for easy cleanup. I keep them in 2-3 days, by which time the chicks have figured out where to go for food, then I replace it with fine wood chips. Don't be alarmed if they eat a little of the tiny wood chips, and they'll soon figure out it isn't food.

"
Congratulations! Anything above 50% hatch rate with shipped eggs is a success. They're beautiful birds when grown, but to me, they are at their most adorable stage when they are this age. They start out beautiful, turn ugly, then become beautiful again. It's better to be late to the party than to miss it... lol!

Don't worry about the paper towels being slippery. They work just fine. If any should get splayed legs, there's plenty of info in the forum on how to treat it. I use large absorbent pads since they cover a large area and make for easy cleanup. I keep them in 2-3 days, by which time the chicks have figured out where to go for food, then I replace it with fine wood chips. Don't be alarmed if they eat a little of the tiny wood chips, and they'll soon figure out it isn't food. "

Thanks for the information. I just had 2 chicks with pasty butt. They could still poop, but they had hard crustys on the vent. I used a warm wet paper paper towel to loosen the aera. Then a small paint brush to clean off he crud. Then hairdryer to dry the baby up and put it back in the brooder.

Its amazing how man the bigger chicks are to this single and littlest chick. They try to run it off the water and the food dispenser. I guess ill buy 2 more feeders and 2 more waters so that she can go to an opposite feeder. Its not like the little one feeds when other chicks are there, she goes by herselfm then the bullies run over and peck her away. The is he same little chick that had complications at birth, It was born with a huge yolk sac on the outside. I did drastic surgery and it lived. She has a small dried up scab on its umbilical vent, and other chicks have tried to peck her when she fell over and it was exposed.

I don't think she needs to be quarantined, I am keeping a close eye on things (in the living room,lol). if it gets bad, Ill put up a divider in the brooder. I just figured if it could get some weight built up and grow a little, it wouldn't have to face abuse during reintroduction.

What is a good way to mark these things to know who is who, Its hard to check each bird for things like pasty butt, once you set it down it disappears in the crowd,lol I am thinking of a divider for sorting and inspections. How do the gurus do it?

I am excited to be a True RIR owner, and look forward to breeding some great birds. I am supposed to have some fantastic stock. Again thanks for your response.

Back
Top Bottom