The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I'm planning on either taking a section of the barn to make into a hatchery but probably putting another small building up. I have electric and water near by. I think I have a small 110 ac water heater. I'll have to dig a trench to put pvc pipe in for the water. I have a hydrant near by I can tap into.
Well, I hope you find out what it was and feel better soon. With the one I lost I only have five hens. I am going to leave them together for now and just try for numbers. I may seperate them later on.

Hi,
I can't remember if I posted this to the board. Have been off BYC for a while. Anyway, I found this while surfing cites on inheritance of chick down color in poultry. Just fascinating. Loved the color plates. I had not known about connection of eye color to birds' color before now. Note this study was done in 1929 after the 1922 change in the RIR Standard concerning the color of the undercolour in the adults of the the breed.
Best,
Karen

---------------------------------
THE INHERITANCE OF RHODE ISLAND RED CHICK DOWN-COLOR VARIATIONS
AND THEIR RELATION TO COLOR VARIATIONS IN ADULT PLUMAGE '

By D. C. WARREN Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station
https://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/IND43967723/PDF
--------------------------------------
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
It's been a week since the last images. Man they grow fast. I did try to wing sex the babies at day 3, and I think I have at least 7 hens (of the 13). Anyways here is what they are looking like since a week ago.

It's been a week since the last images. Man they grow fast. I did try to wing sex the babies at day 3, and I think I have at least 7 hens (of the 13). Anyways here is what they are looking like since a week ago.

Beautiful chicks!

Question, The standard calls for, "reddish bay eyes". Are they born with that eye color, or does it develop as they get older?
Eye color develops over time.

Back
Top Bottom