The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

No I don't. I grow them out first for future breeders and for showing. Usually after the first of the year, after I do a test hatch, I do offer eggs for sale. Currently I haven't created a list yet for next year.

I hatched these in March 2019. They are from Dick Horstman.

Attachments

• IMG_20190802_084741.jpg
    IMG_20190802_084741.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Good morning, just slowly going through this forums backwards and reading everything! It will take a lot!

I have some eggs in the Hatcher now from a breeder here but wondering if you know other Canadian breeders with high quality birds. Or is there someone here that would ship to Canada and has before with all the regulations!

We have bred for many years different breeds but trouble is many of the so called duo heritage breeds don’t live up to the dual purpose when thrown into our climate!!

But I am so excited the the Rhode Island Red do perform
From what I have read here.

My hubby over all these years back in his mind has been saying why can’t we just get RIR that lay but he only new the hatchery stock lighter birds with loose feathers..

There are so many regulations for sending eggs out of the country. I attempted to do it but none of the vets in the area would do the paperwork I needed. I love my Reds.
IMG_3456.JPG
2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg

I have been slowly reading through many pages and yes I have really enjoyed your pictures of your birds, and it is really valuable information and I have been able to pick out the qualities you guys talk about..

I studied about this Breed over a year ago but then never thought about it again because we are so limited with quality stock here and everyone here does not give much thought RIR here because they know them only in hatchery stock and therefore use to being able to get what they call RIRs for next to nothing from a hatchery!

I first fell in love with the deep dark color and body type! At that point I had not noticed the unique tail set that honestly sets it apart from most other standard breeds of chickens. Most breeds do ask for a higher tail set.

I also am very excited about actually meat quality to them and being very hardy! We have a very challenging climate.

Problem here is usually most the lines in Canada will all come from one breeder or maybe two..

Plus food costs are very high in the prairie provinces and population smaller compared to other provinces so even though many “so called heritage breeds”
Are beautiful they are not cost effective.

We all know when we truly care for our chickens and desire quality and proper type it often means not much profit...
But at least one still wants eggs and meat which is the real reason to have them on our homestead in the first place while preserving what they represent without pushing them to industrial production.

Just want to say a huge appreciative thank you! I have been going back through posts reading.

On breeding and types and how to truly breed for quality and how to set up pens.

Thank you to Fred’s Hens - lots of amazing information and appreciate all your time spent in typing that out for us! Time is precious and valuable and thank you for that.

Also thank you to Ur-Ur-Ur-Urrr for your valuable information, time and photos.

And cmon.. you all contribute a lot to help further the breed in a true way!

I am thankful I found this thread of forum!

Now I just wish some your stock was in Canada!! Or at least easier to get it here!

Good morning!

Hopefully I can catch some
Of you online!

It has been very hard to find quality lines in Canada. I have some eggs in the incubator now but it will be a long haul. I noticed stock not have bone color on shanks though a rooster is now paired that will bring that in and that is where my eggs come from.

But alas I have found some
Rose comb!!RIR

I know a lot of you own both?
Do you prefer one over the other if you had to choose?

Do they lay just as well and produce the. Brick shape just as well or is it more of a work in progress still on the rose comb Rhode Island Red?

We have the opportunity on actually breeding stock and from stock they raised and only kept what they would breed or show! We had not thought of rose comb and was worried about fertility issues.

I have few more questions but will keep it simple for now!
I will be talking on the phone tonher today!
And if we say yes, then we are going on an 8 hour drive there!

We just never considered it as thought we would just have straight comb but not really finding breeders here with stock..

Back
Top Bottom