The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have both RC RIR and SC RIR. I love them both. A couple of young Rose Combs.
2015-01-11 15.09.31Rev1.jpg

2015-01-11 15.27.28Rev.jpg

I have both RC RIR and SC RIR. I love them both. A couple of young Rose Combs.
View attachment 1942254
View attachment 1942255

Beautiful!!
I do wish we could get stock easier into Canada!
Is there anything you prefer in one over the other or notable differences other than their comb? ☺️

Are Rose combs as big and lay as many eggs or more as their counterpart with the straight comb?

Do you find fertility issues?

No issues with either SC or RC. They are the same size. As far as I can tell with my birds no difference in laying. No fertility issues either. My Leghorns and Rhode Island Whites are also very good layers.
IMG_20170427_200333 - Copy.jpg

Some RIW chicks.
2014-06-25 14.42.28.jpg

This was my original male that I started my RIW's with. He is no longer with us but produced many very nice chicks.
Shemp.jpg

No issues with either SC or RC. They are the same size. As far as I can tell with my birds no difference in laying. No fertility issues either. My Leghorns and Rhode Island Whites are also very good layers.
View attachment 1942354
Some RIW chicks. View attachment 1942356
This was my original male that I started my RIW's with. He is no longer with us but produced many very nice chicks.
View attachment 1942357

So in the whites you have rose comb and also straight comb?

I do have a few eggs of rose
Comb whites!

But I am going to pick up trios of rose comb Reds this weekend and so excited.

Last edited:
I would love to see how others set up breeding family pens in the winter in their barns!

I have read so much now on the line breeding that everyone has written here!
I always had the charts but I found a the breeders here put it in just easy terms and one you can really picture! Especially with picking who you would pair!

So many put 1 or 2 hens in with a cock..
what is the most you would do? Maybe 3?

And I see some say use the same cock rotated through all three pens or I could use a different cock and then use uncle/niece or aunt/nephew pairings the next year?

I couldn’t see all the different comparisons of lines???

There was one link near the top on there about bamtam RIR that was really good!

Disregard as I found the breed comparisons! I was only looking in the actual article that came up. And in there there was only one link but it was really good as well!

True RIW's are Rose Comb. I breed to the standard. I usually have 5 chosen females in a breeding pen with a chosen male. A few years ago I had too much green leakage around the necks. I did manage to breed that fault out. There aren't many true breeders for the RIW's most prefer the Reds.

True RIW's are Rose Comb. I breed to the standard. I usually have 5 chosen females in a breeding pen with a chosen male. A few years ago I had too much green leakage around the necks. I did manage to breed that fault out. There aren't many true breeders for the RIW's most prefer the Reds.

Thanks, So how many family breeding pens do you have going?
I am excited you have done well and have improved them with having a small flock breeding type. I am a little limited when it comes to winter time here on pen space! Next year I will have more room as I will parting down a couple other breeds but I need to keep those breeds this year and next season!

Back
Top Bottom