The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Are you planning on breeding them? The male to me doesn't have the brick shape as well as your female. The chicks may.

I do have some chicks from them, I will study some photos on how the brick shape should look like and try and select accordingly, I also have RIR eggs that I got from another breeder that will hatch next weekend that I can select from.

Hi, well we were about to find some
Beautiful rose comb Rhode Island Red here in Canada..

From a lady that have been improving and showing for years.

You can see the work she has done as very very hard to find anything in Canada and when we went to pick them up after a very long drive, she was surprise by how much I knew and what to look for in the breed.

I owe it all to this post.

Funny though how much you quickly forget when you have no time to read for a month and some and been going hard with other things.

Anyway this is a breed we truly want to work with and straight combs as well.
Hubby has been waiting for years to have these and he loves them.

But I have a favour to ask, I want to show him beautiful quality. And instead of going back through trying to find all the wonderful pictures of all your hard work - can we do an update of photos here. Kind of a refresher for this extensive post.

I am
Worried as I liked many of your post thinking that would flag it so I could go back to them when I am needing to rebook up the traits and SOP details as you all explained them so well. For some reason I can’t find anything. I assumed it would save that stuff for you!

Here are some of my birds. They are single comb but everything also applies to the rose combs as well. I'll look for some pictures of my rose combs. Their backs should be wide to the tail and fairly long and of course the brick shape. Their legs should be centered on their bodies. Here are a few pictures from a previous post. Notice the backs of the birds. Good luck and have fun...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...sland-red-site.407294/page-1207#post-21900719
Also check out these websites. They will give you good information on what you should look for. They are again single comb but the sop also applies to the rose combs.
http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com/
http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id67.html

Hello,
I Have been reading bits and parts of this thread and got Rhode island reds. I got them from Bresse farms in Mississippi as their pictures showed nice birds and they had a sale on them. they are coming in on the 10th. I got 12 8 week old birds and will post pictures soon. If anyone has had experience with the rir from bresse farms please post pictures and tell me what they were like. I have not yet read the whole thread because of the obvious extreme length but i am trying.

Thank you

I have never heard of them. Their website says, "All of our broodstock came from award winning exhibition quality flocks." I wonder what lines their birds originated from??? Just curious... Please let us know how they look when you get them and please post some pictures. Good luck and have fun...

I also was trying to figure that out but so far I really like the company they have been really good at emailing me and even gave me a discount on shipping because the option I choose was no longer available.

Could go two ways, really. All I know about Bresse Farms is that there are two of them, and one is pretty shady.

Saying the RIR came from award winning exhibition flocks doesn't mean a ton to me, honestly. Have they been well-bred since they came from these flocks? Or were they started from a bunch of culls and bred willy nilly? Could be either way. Hopefully they are nice, will be interesting to see :)

Back
Top Bottom