The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Does anyone know why there would be lacing in a RIR? I have some single combs I bought as chicks from a lady that I don't believed mixed her birds. The lacing however is very clear. What would cause this?

I read somewhere that crossing some lines? or inbreeding.. I forget what it was.. thus the question, but I know it can happen in pure lines.

Its actual lacing on a rooster. If the weather calms down I will get a pic of it. I would describe it as red lacing on an almost white feather, and his breast is getting covered with this now that he is in his final molt. This didn't show up befor. He is now in the "Invited to dinner" pen, however I would like to know how this happened so I can avoid it in my own breeding.

41488_don_nelson_ririrr_640x480.jpg

RhodeIslandRedPicture.jpg

chucksone.jpg

When I started this thread I used a picture above as one of my favorite views of the Classic Rhode Island Red Standard Breed female. These are the kinds of females that where present in the yards in the 1930s and 40s . I have a picture that was sent to me of some Rhode Island Red females that look alot like these females and they are as dark as any Rhode Island Red Standard Breed bird you will see. Look at the green in this males tail. Notice that this male has a flat top line and in close view he has a five point comb and clean blade. This male has a black spur on his feet coming out and he has one thing that I have not heard any one say about this strain of Reds he has black smut in his back. This has made his wings the red part the darkest that those in this parts have ever seen to go along with the black color in his wings. Look at the tails on these females the Tee Pee spread. They are also black and solid black from end of tail to the quills. They have neary 70 to 85 percent black in thier wings. All the females have nice head points some have five point combs.

This is a test question. Can you tell me what blood lines this breeding pen is from? The female on the far right is their aunt. She is a hen about 18 months old.

The picture in the middle is the APA Standard of Perfection Schilling cut from the 1964 standard. Use this a a ruler to compair the birds. The birds on top are Don Nelsons line from Rhode Island.

These are not a lost strain of Standard Breed Rhode Island Red chickens. These have been worked on by just a few breeders in the past few years. A hint they originated from Thompson Georgia, Louiville Ky and Poca City Oklahoma. bob

Quote:
The first picture-do you mean the Brahma Bantams?

No the first picture of the large fowl hens on this new post.They are above the standard female cut from the APA stndard of Perfection. Those are Don Nelsons females from this supper a top blood line from Rhode Island. The Buff Brahams are from the Bill Bowman line who died about two years ago from Ohio.

Last edited:
Quote:
The first picture-do you mean the Brahma Bantams?

Well, I thought they were LF .....
hu.gif

Anyway, I prefer the LF birds. And I really really want some Brahmas!

Some day, some day, some day ......

Last edited:
after the beating my RIR rooster took on this thread earlier on, i figure i would repost with an updated pic.
he is now 8 months old and to me has turned into a fine example of a Heriatge Rhode Red.
40975_100_3707.jpg

40975_100_3706.jpg

Back
Top Bottom