The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Quote:
The guy that sold them to me was older and bald. and he had some in there showing not sure whcih got BB.
and the guy taht sold me the bantams was a little on the havey side and looked like a grump LOL

Last edited:
4d8f.jpg

Mohawk V. 1928

7d57.jpg

Son of Mohawk V 1932

bd92.jpg

Son of Mohawk V 1931
d7ca.jpg

My Reese Reds 1990 Pen one #99 male

redmaleforsale.jpg

#99 look alike five years ago but he is a shrunk down large fowl He is a bantam.

4064.jpg

This is the color of thier feathers twenty years ago. Use this as a gage. Yours look dark in color.

The guy who sold you these birds should be about my age. You have a different line of E W reese large fowl as he must have kept these birds from Mr. Reese pure for over twenty years. When he told you they where Reese large fowl no buddy says that anymore becasue Mr. Reese has been out of Reds for over 20 years.

This is what I would like for you to do. Hatch as many as you can and send me pitures of your young bird next year when they are about six months old. I will be happy to help you put some matings togeather which would be say the best two or three females back to the old cock bird and the best looking cockerel to the old hen.

I would also, like to get some eggs from you to cross into the old Mohawk line that I use to have.

If you wish to sell this pair latter in a year or two let me know and I will buy them from you.

You have a strain of Rhode Island Red that goes something like this: George Tracy from New York got them going about 1905. He sold his strain to Owen Farms of Mass in about 1910. Mrs. Donald Donaldson of Decatura Georgia got eggs from them in 1912. She breed her strain and did very well and bought a Rhode Island Red from Maurice Wallace in 1929 called Mohawk V for $150. in todays money that would be maybe $2,000. She crossed this male into her flock and had one of the top three flocks of Large Fowl Reds in the history of Reds.
She sold many birds to Buddy Day and E W Reese Jr. of Tompson Georgia in the 1960s and she died in 1967. I got my birds from Mr. Reese about 22 years ago and the fellow that you got your pair did as well.

At this time there are two people who have my strain a Brian Simmons in Fla and Greg Chamness in Ill. There are two nice fellows in Colorado who have some of Gregs birds and then a family in Kansas. That is the last of the breed that I know of or this old line of Mrs. Donaldsons birds.

So you my friend have the new line and I am so happy for you. May you be the next Mrs. Donaldson of Standard Breed Rhode Island Red Large Fowl.

bob

Last edited:
Can anyone give me the history of Swanson's Rose comb flock He lived in FL and dispersed his flock. I now have some of those birds and would like to know more about them.

I dont know much about Swanson strain. I think he put them togeather himself with a bird here and there and a rose comb here or there. There has not been many stains of Rose comb large fowl in the last twenty years. Adrain Radamaker from Minn has the oldest strain. Roy Autrey has a old stain in Arkansas. There are so few large fowl Rose Combs and so few breeders I have lost track of who has what. bob

Last edited:
Well you can add me to the Rose comb list as Im going to be building this flock and working hard on it. It is rose comb however I do get a single comb out of it every now and then. the combs however on the rose ones are not split like they would be in a cross breeding. I just have the occasional crop out of single comb.

Back
Top Bottom