The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I will be hatching aprox 80 chicks from a single comb/rose comb mixed flock with equal amounts of each in the flock. I will not be keeping any single comb chicks. These are out of good lines and are nice birds, I just want to build up my rose combs. If anyone is interested in the single combs, let me know. I won't start till mid April. I have posted photos of my birds on this board, but can repost if anyone needs. I would also be willing to trade for rose comb chicks or Blue Orphs if they are good.

Can anyone tell me why RIRs don't have yellow legs anymore, and how or why they lost that? I know of only one strain of birds that still have it with the drak red over lay on the legs. all the other birds I see have the pearl legs with red over lay. The standard calls for yellow, so its odd that would be lost? Just looking for an explonation to understand what happened.

Im referring to any RIR single or rose comb I have seen on this site or at peoples homes. These are show birds, and winning. If you look at the photos on this thread you will notice that all of them but the ones I posted have white legs. I was also told.. on this thread that leg color doesn't' matter.. Im wondering if it doesn't matter anymore because some how it got bred out? Im curious.. thats all..

Quote:
It may be your computer most of the ones I have seen look to have good yellow legs

Last edited:
Quote:
It may be your computer most of the ones I have seen look to have good yellow legs

I think you hit the nail on the head there.
Every last Red on page one has yellow legs.

Roberts, stevin, mine (chris09), kathyinmo all have Yellow Shanks.

Chris

maybe it could be my computer.. so I went to the other computer and looked at page one. Still not seeing yellow.. The ones I have seen in person aren't yellow either.. however I will give some of the reason for not seeing bright yellow on the website to my monitor, which is a HD TV screen that normally gets good color? Maybe Im looking for the bright gold, and not a pale yellow?
I know that Bob has in the past said that white leggs don't matter.. Im still asking why some birds have white legs with the red over lay. As I know plenty do. Where did that come from? and why don't judges care about leg color?

Back
Top Bottom