The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I think they look nice. If you ever get a closer picture I would like to see it. The RIRs around Eastern NC just are not that dark. Steve at Sands Poultry have about the best looking RIRs I have seen any where around here.

Thanks for the compliment. I need to go out and take some current photos. I will try this weekend. I work during the week and by the time I get home it is dark out and the light in the coop is not the greatest.
Christie
big_smile.png

I know what you mean. My wife is a teacher and she works part time with Sylvan about 4 days a week and it is almost 7:00pm when she gets home. I am disabled and can't wait to see her when she gets here. I do fix dinner and clean up as much as I can but it's not the same. She is so tired from work and I can't do but so much it stinks. We love it when there is much more light later in the day. I look forward to seeing your RIRs when you get the chance. Take care and thanks for sharing.

Quote:
can you suppy beginners day old chicks this spring? What stain of Rhode Island reds do you have or where did you get your birds from. They look very dark in color have good lenth of body and are very brick in shape. Would love to see more pictures.

That picture of my Rhode Island Red in my avitar was taken in the dark. He is three or four years old now. His son is in the second picture that I posted. I have seen hundreds of Rhode Island Reds with light colored feet color or what you call white with dominate horn color in thier legs and almost all horn color in their beaks. When you get leg color nice and pretty and yellow you will most of the time loose your surface color, your wing color in the primairys will be very light and when you look at the green in the tail in the back section of the bird their will be two to four inches of red showing in the main tail feathers. Then if you take the quill color and look at it in a good light you will see no blood red but rustic orange which tells you your have lost your color in your Rhode Island Reds. It does not take more than about five years to do this.

One of the biggest reasons we loose our surface color in our reds is we do not have ticking in our female hackle feathers they have long stripes. The males then will show black in thier neck feathers when this happens you have a out of control color problem and will take five to ten years to correct.

The question I ask myslef is do I want yellow legs and red tinge going down the legs and loose my surface, wing and tail color or do I want a even colored dark colored bird with dark blood red quill color and dark primary and secondary wing color and that is the red color not the black.

I will try to take pictures of thier legs the next time I check them out. bob

ckl2008.jpg

This is black spurs picture taken in the dark first red bantam to ever show dark horn in his spurs.

Ckl2006.jpg

THis is black spurs sire when he was young. He had yellow legs then and still have them
he is going to be breed over his grand dauthers this spring.

t-389439812.jpg

This is one of Black Spurs sons sent to a fellow in Ohio last year. Cant tell if they are yellow or white legs but boy he sure had good type and color

This was a young five or six month old ckl about ten years ago. I can not remember if he had yellow legs or not
but he was the best typed and darkest colored male I ever raised as a large fowl

OhioRIRedBantams.jpg

This is one of Black Spurs sons sent to a fellow in Ohio last year. Cant tell if they are yellow or white legs but boy he sure had good type and color

Mike1.jpg

This a male with correct type and color he was champion of the Michigan State Fair he has good colored legs.
He should be a model for us to breed our large fowl to this look.

Last edited:
We do not ship birds, but I will ship eggs. I am currently checking fertility. Once I have enough hatched for our kids 4H projects, I could offer some eggs.
To be honest when we started with the RIR it was for 4H and I loved the birds and did'nt pay much attention to lines. I will dig through my emails and see who I got our starts from. I know we did get eggs from Pine grove, Imogene (taterschickens I think) and bamachicken, I think thats right, I know the later two have since sold their RIR flocks.

Thanks for the compliments on them. I will definetly get some more photos of them. It would really help to know what areas our birds need more work on too.

Thanks,
Christie
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thanks for your response: Mr. Bennett of Pine Grove Reds has a good strain I sent a message to Imogene and bamachicken to see where they got thier reds from.

They may also be from Pine Grove. Neesless to say they are true to breed have good size and wonderfull color.

For anyone who just came onto this thread and wonders what real Rhode Island Reds look like this is what you should be getting at the feed store. Instead you get the production kind and I have gotten a lot of messages asking why they are so mean. Why do they attach my children. All I can say they are breed for high egg producion and they have lost their docile behavior from such breeding over the years.

We are finding lost strains of Rhode Island Red large fowl. Pine Grove is not a lost strain but a good one.

Hopefully next year we will have more people who can help the beginner get a start. I think anyone who can get eggs from you will be happy with your large fowl. bob

I was told that Bamachicken got out of red a few years ago, or thats what she told me. Her reds came from a guy in SC and Jimmy Swanson. I wrote her to get some history on some of the rose combs I have. This is what I was told

Quote:
That is interesting. The guy in South Caolina is Gary Ramey I think. However, if she crossed these and Swansons birds in with Pine Grove it would be hard to see how stable the gene pool would be. Thats a lot of crossing going on.

They still look good however. Vigor should not be a problem thats for sure. bob

Quote:
The Bird in the 3rd picture is showing a lot of "Modeling" in his breast feathers (Black feathers laced in White) that isn't good if you are planing to breed.

Chris

Does anyone know if William (Pine Grove) has any RIR available, hatching eggs or chicks and how to contact him?

Thanks

Mike

Back
Top Bottom