The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

As I was reading thru this thread, learning about a thing or two (really, ALOT) about the RIRs. What I am amazed about the fact of the origin when the RIR started.

I am a CW reenactor and sometimes I see folks bringing in game bird fowls to these events to show people that these are the breeds existed in the US around the Civil War time about 1860-1866. These breeds were the ones you would have seen in farmer's backyards and white chickens were unheard of or a very strong dislike because of predator problems.

Many CW folks told me the only breed existed were the gamebirds, Dark Cornish (non commercial fast kind of meat), Dominques, Barred Rocks, Javas and Cochins. Now I am glad to see that the RIR may have been around when the War between the states were going on, and what the soldiers would have seen at that time. Surely they would have eaten them for supper or raiding some poor folk's chicken coop of their prized RIR for their dinners.

So how many strains are out there?

Im still in the dark about strains and lines......my brain farted when some comments by a Marans breeder has lost me in the first paragraph. I raise Welsummers and trying to get some headway where I would have use strains and lines. I thought its the same.

Like I said at the time Bamachicken only had the SC birds and the Swanson birds. To my knowledge, and what she told me last year, she sold out of RIRs..
So maybe she got back in with another strain?

As for the lacing on that bird.. he is the same bird standing behind the Auracana (sp) You can see he molted out of it. I did post the question earlier what causes that, and no one answered.

Quote:
There were also breeds like the Brahma (Chittagongs), Dorking, Shakebag fowl, Malay fowl, Mediterranean Fowl but the Cochin that they had back then was quite different then the Cochins we have today. (Less fluff and feathers on the Feet)
33115_picture00123_008.jpg

Chris

I sent William a message on 1-25-2011. I asked him if his birds were Mohawks and he told me the following "...My Reds were orginally Mohawks..I added other blood to them about 17 years ago and seen no reason to keep callin them Mohawks...William" I also ashed him to look at my 2 birds that were in question and he said the taller bird was not one of his but that the other bird was. He had told me in a previous message that he would not have any chicks or eggs to sell as he was keeping most of this years to replace his older birds. Willam Bennett is his real name and he goes as pinegrove on BYC. He is a great guy and his is full of information.
I hope I spelled his last name correctly. I have talked to a couple of people he suggested trying to get either eggs or chicks and they are few and far between for this year. Most are either replacing some of their older stock with their younger breeding stock or they only just got a few birds and are developing their own flock for the coming year of 2011. I hope this helped and please keep checking around and see if others do have the older lines. Maybe if we all work together we can increase the old bloodlines and keep them going.

I want to know what happened to the original Cochin.. they sound like an awesome bird.. It doesn't sound like the modern Cochin would have absorbed them.

Quote:
Unfortunately I believe that the breed is long gone.
The breed was to be a huge fowl at up to 15 lbs for cocks and 10 lbs for hens.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom