The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Who has orders for large fowl red eggs or chicks this year?

Where are you getting them from?

I got a message from a fellow in my state of Alabama who is getting 25 chicks from my old strain of Greg Chamness of Illinois the old Mohawk line.

I heard one person was on Don Nelsons list from Rhode Island.

Anyone else getting some Standard Breed Large fowl reds this year.?? BOB

Just wanted to share some teaser pics of my Pine Grove(William Bennett) RIR's. Hopefully within the next week I will be choosing my breeders out of this bunch. I've really enjoyed raising these and hope to help others as well. Thanks Bob and William for the pointers with working with such great birds. I will share some pics of the hens later in the week. I'm so glad that I kept most of them for almost a year in that their potential has really shown just in the last month alone.

When I got these as chicks, Pine Grove(William) warned me about their appetites. He was right...lol. I have 16 roos and 25 hens that eat 150lbs of feed WEEKLEY!!! Yes, WEEKLEY! They are filling out quite nicely though and are solid.

42454_dsc00101.jpg

42454_dsc00099.jpg

42454_dsc00098.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
My friends that is a nice group of Heritage Rhode Island Red Cockerels. I am sure even the worst male would make a great breeder. Lets hope next year many of you will have these dark wonderfull typed birds in your yards.

So does any one have a question what the difference is between a hatchery commerical production red and a real Old fashion 1940a style R I Red?

bob

Last edited:
Quote:
A teaser for sure -- not fair -- they are gorgeous! The bare ground is also a teaser -- we have snow, snow snow.

On the Heritage Large Fowl site, someone said the rose combs are tall -- tall enough that they could possibly be a problem in my ND winters. It's going to be -15 tonight and -22 tomorrow night. The poster thought I should stick to cushion or pea combs. Thoughts?

Becky

Back
Top Bottom