The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

He has had them for about thirty years. He told me they came out of some stock out of Penn. I dont know if they are some of Mr. Wards old birds. They are classic New England Reds. One of the top three strains left in the country and ready for anyone who lives in the cold climates of the North. He does not breed them much anymore he has sold many to others and has someone near him who has these birds.

Last edited:
Quote: If you live in Mississippi the strain that loves your weather and humidity is the Mohawks. They came from Georgia near Alanata and we have some that are now down here in South Alabmam where I breed and rasied them nearly 30 years ago.

We have crossed a strain I started for a guy in Flordia and a guy in Illniois about 15 plus years ago and they are full of vigor, lay well, have great meat substance and are so pretty you will fall to your knees when you see them on your green lawn walking around.

They are the best dual purpose breed for the deep south as most large fowl dont do well in the heat thats why not many people have large fowl as the hatchery chickens are from Iowa and dont do well down here.

What city in Mississippi do you live in? My wife is from Aberdeen. bob

Mr. Bob,
I live about 20 miles north of Grenada, MS.. I do have one Don Nelson hen and two young cockerels I hatched from NYreds stock. Do you think in my best interest that I should swap to Mohawks because of the heat or hang in there with what I have? I may not log on but I do "lurk" and keep up with what yall are saying.

Quote: If you have a good male and two females you can raise some nice bird from them. Also, there is a lady in Georgia who has Dons birds and you could get some birds from her some day to cross in to them. I dont think you are going to show these bird and try to win best of breed so just sit back in your easy chair and enjoy this line. Its one of the top three lines in the USA.

You can always get some Mohawk latter as chicks or eggs and then com pair them. Just dont cross them unless you just want eating chickens and dont care about preservation of the gene pool. There is nothing wrong with crossing chickens but you have to have a purpose in doing it. This tread is not geared that way. We are trying to preserve breeds that are in trouble. We also have to use some common sense that some breeds are to far gone to save right now and many of us do not have the skills to bring them back up do to lack of experience. A person who cant run a incubator has no need taking on a multicolored breed that is has been breed down into production chicken ville. You need a breed that is easy to hatch, rear and then have in your pens. If this is to complicated or hard for the beginner they need to go back to feed store chickens and play with them till they get there skills up to par.

Being a good breeder is not easy and many can not do it. I think the secret is just getting a simple breed, and learn how to breed them well and then after five years you can always move on to another breed.

Here is a question how can I buy some seeds for next year. How many of you have these seeds and could you put some in a envelope and share them with us. Is there a thread on this site or another site that we can learn more about this? I was a Low es today and they had garden seed from Bur pees for sale. It may be much like getting baby chicks in the spring from the feed store.

What old seeds do well in the deep south where it is hot.

I am a beginner and a rookie at this but willing to learn.

Maybe there is a place I can go to and pay $1000. to learn how to have a Heirloom Garden like we have in chickens.

Quote:
Here is a question how can I buy some seeds for next year. How many of you have these seeds and could you put some in a envelope and share them with us. Is there a thread on this site or another site that we can learn more about this? I was a Low es today and they had garden seed from Bur pees for sale. It may be much like getting baby chicks in the spring from the feed store.

What old seeds do well in the deep south where it is hot.

I am a beginner and a rookie at this but willing to learn.

Maybe there is a place I can go to and pay $1000. to learn how to have a Heirloom Garden like we have in chickens.

Bob, no need to pay $1000 to learn how to have an heirloom garden. Just find a source of heirloom seeds for your area and learn how to save and replant them. There are several sources of heirloom seed. You might try this one, which is geared for the Atlantic and southeast US: http://www.southernexposure.com/about-us-ezp-18.html . I get a lot of seeds from Native Seeds Search http://www.nativeseeds.org/ which is geared for dry southwest deserts but does carry some seed from Texas and other more humid areas. And I've had surprisingly good luck with seed from SeedSavers Exchange, which is in Iowa http://www.seedsavers.org/ . Google things like "seed library" or "seed exchange" or "seed saving" or "heirloom seed" but beware of the seed version of hatchery chicken labeling. If it's from a major seed company it's not likely to be a locally-adapted product. For true locally adapted heirloom seeds it's best to stick with the organizations promoting genetic diversity. There seem to be more of them every year, which is a good thing. You could ask your county extension office - they could point you in the right direction. Local organic gardeners tend to be good sources of information, too.

Of course if you want a fast track I will gladly take your $1000 and give you a bunch of information you could find yourself online! Ha ha ha ha ha .....
big_smile.png

Sarah

Quote: If you live in Mississippi the strain that loves your weather and humidity is the Mohawks. They came from Georgia near Alanata and we have some that are now down here in South Alabmam where I breed and rasied them nearly 30 years ago.

We have crossed a strain I started for a guy in Flordia and a guy in Illniois about 15 plus years ago and they are full of vigor, lay well, have great meat substance and are so pretty you will fall to your knees when you see them on your green lawn walking around.

They are the best dual purpose breed for the deep south as most large fowl dont do well in the heat thats why not many people have large fowl as the hatchery chickens are from Iowa and dont do well down here.

Forgive my ignorance again. Some of my birds are originally from Georgia other are from Florida. I was told they were descendants of the Reese line. Do you know what line they would be today? I know the Reese line was a long time ago.

Forgive my ignorance again. Some of my birds are originally from Georgia other are from Florida. I was told they were descendants of the Reese line. Do you know what line they would be today? I know the Reese line was a long time ago.
Here ya go from the previous page here on post 1671
There will be some Mohawks at the Lake City Show and I hope I can go as I have never been there. The Mohawks from the Illinois line and the half Florida and Illinois will be there and may have some extras for sale. This is my old line that I got from E W Reese who had them for about thirty years and he got them from Mrs. Donald Donaldson in Decatur Georgia who had them from 1912 to 1967. They are still pure and over 100 years old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom