The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Hey y'all. I know there are specific forums for sexing chickens, but since these are (supposed to be) Heritage Rhode Island Reds, I thought y'all might be better able to help me dicide whether I have two hens or a hen and a roo.

Pudge and Little Bit at 1 week.

Pudge behind Little Bit at 14 weeks.

Pudge at 14 weeks.

Little Bit at 14 weeks.

I am pretty sure Pudge is a hen, but since Little Bit's comb and waddle have gotten so red recently, I am thinking maybe she is a he? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey y'all. I know there are specific forums for sexing chickens, but since these are (supposed to be) Heritage Rhode Island Reds, I thought y'all might be better able to help me dicide whether I have two hens or a hen and a roo.

Pudge and Little Bit at 1 week.

Pudge behind Little Bit at 14 weeks.

Pudge at 14 weeks.

Little Bit at 14 weeks.

I am pretty sure Pudge is a hen, but since Little Bit's comb and waddle have gotten so red recently, I am thinking maybe she is a he? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Well Hmm maybe Little Bit is a Roo and Pudge Hen VIVI

At 14 weeks there should be a most definite difference between the two as in rooster feathering. Your pics don't show that to me It may be that it/he's a late bloomer but their still should be evidence of sex feathers by now even if the comb is late starting in. More than likely they are closer to being production type birds and they can start showing their pullet waddles and combs way earlier than heritage types do. My heritage reds are going on 7 mo. old and some still have the little dull combs, some are looking more like they are getting ready to lay(hopefully) anyway I say this as you see the tails on those (girls) are not a wide spread tail its what called pinched and this is not very common on heritage reds unless they are just absolutely no good(culls) I think someone may have crossed up some hatchery types with maybe some (heritage reds?) and this is the result. I have some they are a mix between an old line from murray Macmurray RIR x Choctaw RIRs from Oklahoma they look sorta like RIRs but compared to my heritage types they look more like Production reds, just bigger and start producing earlier too. I will keep them to mix in with my already founded Cherryeggers(Pro reds) and add some new energy to the mix. Huh Bob? LOL They'll be a spittin' out eggs everwhere after that gets all crossed up in the mixture. I love e'm, for my egg business that is. LOL

good day

Jeff

I have no idea on the sex as I dont worry about those things. Most of the time my ckls show combs poping up at two months at least.

Look at the top lines of yor birds, pointed type tails. Where did you get these chicks?

They may be egg laying machines. bobf

We had a good time at the show today. We ended up getting a first place, breed champ and champion cockerel with the RIR I posted a pic of the other day....

I know another lousy pic but that's all I could get with a phone.

We also got a first place  and breed champ with a NH rooster and a second place with a BR cockerel. The BR that beat us was a pullet I sold about a month or so ago. We only brought the thee birds and this was just a small show at a State Fair but it was our first show and we had a good time.

Chris 

Good job Chris!
I am sure you have many more wins in your future.
Congratulations.

Ron

Bobby Anderson won BV, BB, & Best American, and then went on to win "Reserve Large Fowl" with another one of his Don Nelson RIR's at Morganton NC this past weekend. He did this with a different bird then he used to win big at Lucasville a few weeks back. He brought three nice cockerels to the show. I offered to carry any, or all of them, back home for him as I knew he was over burdened with other birds. Sad to say he declined.

A great big "At-a-Boy" Mr. Anderson

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=redforum&thread=4311&page=1#30273#ixzz2AicnmArM

Bobby Anderson won BV, BB, & Best American, and then went on to win "Reserve Large Fowl" with another one of his Don Nelson RIR's at Morganton NC this past weekend. He did this with a different bird then he used to win big at Lucasville a few weeks back. He brought three nice cockerels to the show. I offered to carry any, or all of them, back home for him as I knew he was over burdened with other birds. Sad to say he declined.

A great big "At-a-Boy" Mr. Anderson

Read more: http://showbirdbid.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=redforum&thread=4311&page=1#30273#ixzz2AicnmArM

thumbsup.gif
alright! way to go Bobby (jaman4) good job with those Reds

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom