The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have seen pictures of people handling their RIR roosters, even young children holding them. Are there tips ya'll can give us beginners in the best way to raise roosters so that they are not aggressive towards humans and are more easily handled? I have read so many conflicting advice on how to raise roosters in general but I really would like to get some expert advice.

Thanks,

Penny

I have seen pictures of people handling their RIR roosters, even young children holding them. Are there tips ya'll can give us beginners in the best way to raise roosters so that they are not aggressive towards humans and are more easily handled? I have read so many conflicting advice on how to raise roosters in general but I really would like to get some expert advice.

Thanks,

Penny

I can tell you how to do it with the strain I raise. Hatch them & feed them, that's all. In fact mine are annoyingly tame. When I have a pen full of growing birds it's hard to get to the feeders, they won't get out of the way. Half the time they end up standing on my feet. Don Nelson, who my birds originated from, says they're always like that.

Last edited:
I can tell you how to do it with the strain I raise. Hatch them & feed them, that's all. In fact mine are annoyingly tame. When I have a pen full of growing birds it's hard to get to the feeders, they won't get out of the way. Half the time they end up standing on my feet. Don Nelson, who my birds originated from, says they're always like that.

X2 -Nelson line also

X2 -Nelson line also
X3 mine came from dinahmoe and NYREDS and they are the same way. Cockerels and pullets alike. Absolutely some of the nicest birds if not the nicest birds I have ever had in my life time. I am so thankful for having them. I talked to them an awful lot as they were growing up but never did much picking them up and carrying them around and they are still tame. If I do have to pick them up for any reason they may wiggle around a little but settle right down.
Jim

Mine are the same way, if you don't watch where your walking you'll end up tripping over them.

I've got Reds from Dick Horstman (Danny Feathers) and Denny Myers..

Chris

nomally the darker they are the more kind and docile they are. The lighter they are or Production Reds look out they will attach kids. Its just the way these males are and have been. I have never in 20 years of breeding seen a mean RI Red. There are two different breeds so dont get down on your birds. Hope this helps. See the dark male up in my last post thats the nice guys. bob

Penny,
I can confirm this same information with my Reds. I've had them fly up on my shoulder during feeding time. They are my only ones I let out to free range because they don't go far. (I have a neighbor that will shoot any of my birds if they go on his ground. And yes, I live in the country on an acreage. Besides this guys buildings, the closest neighbor is a half mile away. ) I have 1 hen that follows me around and the cocks just watch the girls. I didn't want Reds because of the stories I had heard of the production red cocks but I am so glad that I have gotten them.

I have some heritage rir that are out of George Ryan stock I received from seller luckypickens on ebay. They are over 7 months, but not laying yet. I was just wondering if anyone knew if this is normal. I guessing it may be because of the heritage breed. Bye the way they are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom