The Honey Factory

The local breeder said it different: »Bee careful around them, they are easily p¡ssed off, just Russians…«
Maybe i should buy some Vodka for them? :oops:
Well, he is a perfect example of a poor breeder! I wouldn't buy any bees from him. I work my Russians gloveless all the time, I do wear a veil almost all of the time. BTW, Im a dog breeder and have puppies for sale, but be careful! They may attack your wife and kids when they get big, interested?😂

@Apis mellifera
How are the Russian with spring buildup? Being they are Caucasian lineage (mitochondrial) I'm under the assumption they are a little slow to start spring.
Fast, but not significantly different from Carniolans. Like most bees when pollen rolls in its quick build up. The big difference is lower mite counts, overwintering, less mite treatments and health issues. Symptoms from paralysis virus disappeared. No greasy bees. I found that dead Italian and Carniolan bees dont build up in the spring at all and dont produce honey :). Russians can be more defensive during a dearth or when they are queenless, but nothing an experienced beekeeper cant handle. If you're ever traveling in Mass contact Warm Colors Apiary and pick up a queen. Dan is a great guy and beekeeper. Like all things beekeeping they may not be for you.

My Carni are hygienic. Low mite treatment is working. The queens I brought in after Sue Colby went to Slovenia had a slight propensity toward paralysis in fall of second year. A friend of mine brought in 30 of those queens from Strachen and found the same thing, about one third showed paralysis. Oddly, there was low mite counts in both of our yards. In reading Brother Adams accounts of the races that was his only complaint of the Carniolan and why he used Macedonian to cross with the leather color Northern Italians he prized.

I've been mixing Palmer queens with the non paralysis Colby and also have queen line from Colby project from before the Solvenia expedition. Was curious as to the spring build up of those Russian breeding project queens. Going to stick with my Carni base and keep moving them forward. This year I'm grafting from Troy Hall stock to trial until next year. That would get me to four queen lines which is plenty diversity to last me decades.

A friend of mine brought in 30 of those queens from Strachen and found the same thing, about one third showed paralysis.
At the end of the day, Strachan queens are one of the best you can get.
I've been mixing Palmer queens
I didnt care for them. I do think Lemon Fair Honey Works (Andrews queens) are excellent.
This year I'm grafting from Troy Hall stock to trial until next year. That would get me to four queen lines which is plenty diversity to last me decades.
Troy took a real beating in 20-21, he bought packages to replace his deadouts. Do you know what bees he has now?

Well, he is a perfect example of a poor breeder! I wouldn't buy any bees from him. I work my Russians gloveless all the time, I do wear a veil almost all of the time. BTW, Im a dog breeder and have puppies for sale, but be careful! They may attack your wife and kids when they get big, interested?😂
He is the only breeder around here, and after my recent experience with the package bees i am running out of options.
I don't mind having "aggressive" bees though, they will protect their hive and my ducks against pests like trash-pandas. I can work in gloves and suit.
About the puppies: I don't mind them attacking the wife and the kids, as long as they protect my ducks… 🤣

Even though a lot of this discussion goes over my head, I feel like I'm learning, just hanging out here. :) There is more to keeping bees than I would ever have guessed. Kind of like chickens, only they don't sit on your lap and get petted.

@WannaBeHillBilly, I'm really sorry about your package. Hoping the make it, somehow. :fl:fl

Back
Top Bottom