The Honey Factory

Since you direct released the queen I would think that you will have capped brood by next weekend. You could wait until then or do a quick inspection this weekend for eggs. You dont need to smoke them, just start from the outside frame and move in until you see eggs. Put the frames back and close them up. You can do simple inspections like that once a week.
I thought so too, but i will wait until the temperatures are more bee friendly, Sunday at least or maybe Tuesday. When refilling the syrup yesterday they all were huddled up in the brood box.

My bees abandoned the remaining crocuses.

Golden willows are in bloom.
full

full

full

full

full

full

Still have not been able to check on my hive for brood…
Just too much else came up here, first the weather was uncooperative, then - heck! - Monday is tax-day! And now it is too hot here to dress up, 90F outside.
But apparently the bees are doing fine, i flipped the entrance reducer yesterday to give them the larger opening (2") and it is crowded. They're busy as 🐝🐝

Finally an update on the hive with the packaged bees:
The queen is fully functioning:
Exactly two weeks after installing the bees i found capped and open brood as well as cells with eggs. As recommended i pulled the frames starting from the outside in and on both sides the third frame had brood on the inner side with capped brood in the center of the frame, open brood in a circle around, surrounded by cells with eggs. On the outer side of the frame the bees had already started to build new cells. I have not checked the inner four frames in order to not disturb the hive more than necessary.
I also removed the entrance reducer as it was causing a huge traffic jam.
The bees have consumed a quarter of the pollen patty and they got a new jar with fresh syrup, despite the fact that we currently have a nectar run from the autumn-olives.
So, starting next week the first new worker bees should hatch…

Back
Top Bottom